XXXIV. Curiosity Kills the Cat

Ava's POV:

After my surprising phone call with Eli, who agreed to pick me up. I told everyone that I don't need a ride; due to plans.

Settling myself on the edge of the sidewalk, I plant my chin against my palms. My face forms a pout as I stare at the puddle in front of me. Placing the tip of my shoes inside, a light ruptured of waves occurred, but it quickly calmed.

A car honking caught my attention, and I looked up to see a waving Eli. This is the first time I saw his car. Walking over, Eli held a broad grin, "Need a ride, sweetcheeks?"

"Desperately," I replied, getting into the car. "Don't ever call me sweetcheeks again." Once I got inside, I pulled on the seatbelt, and Eli began driving.

"So, you'll do anything, huh?" He wiggles his brows.

I roll my eyes, planting a cheek against my knuckles. "Why do you have my brother's phone?" I changed the subject.

"He forgot it at my house."

"Didn't someone ever tell you it's rude to answer someone else's calls?"

"If I didn't answer it, then who else would be your knight in shining armor?"

"I'll manage," I said, rolling down the window. "Nice car."

He smiles, "Thanks. It's my brother."

"Oh. The good looking doctor?"

He places a finger in the air, shaking it back and forth. "Doctor. Yes. Good looking? Debatable."

"What's there to debate about?"

"There are some people who say I'm the better looking one."

"Which people spoke such a lie?"

"Look. I know you may not see it, but underneath the right lighting, my sex appeal increases."

"Let me guess. If I squint my eyes, your sexiness skyrockets."

"It also helps if you take a few shots. I go from a 5 to a 13!"

I laughed, shaking my head, "Where do you get all this confidence from Elijah?"

He shrugged, "I guess you can say it's the unexpected things in life that give me the confidence that I need."

"What unexpected things?"

His lip thinned momentarily, as his eyes concentrated on the road. After a brief silence, he smiles once more, "You want to know?" His voice laces a humorous tease.

"A little curious."

"Just a little? Not a lot?"

I shook my head, "Curiosity kills the cat. So, I don't want to be too curious."

"However, satisfaction brought it back," he said, causing my forehead to crunch. "Be curious about me."

"You're an open book. What else is there to read?"

"Well-" he rests a single arm on his lap, "I do have chapters I don't allow everyone to read."

"And you're allowing little ole me to access it?"

"Depends-" he made a stop at my house, "if you're bold enough to turn the page."

I laugh, "Goodbye, Eli," I said, opening the door.

"Oh, can you give Trevon's phone back?" Eli said, reaching for the glove compartment.

I bent down, "Sure."

He threw the phone at me, and I swiftly caught it. "See you around, pretty lady," he said. I shook my head before closing the door. While walking back, I heard the swift sound of the engine roaring once more before it slowly disappeared. A low buzzing phone caught my attention, and I glanced down to see a message pop up on Trevon's phone.