Melanin dripping in Safe Heaven (1)

Kapinga 

Happiness was all I felt when I saw the large sign with the words, "Safe Haven" written on it in the distance. No, it wasn't because the board was beautiful. In fact, it was the total opposite if you asked me. The words were large enough that I could read them from a 50m distance, and it was written in black. The background of the poster was plain green, so rather basic.

Anyways, what actually brought me happiness was the fact that I had managed to successfully get to the land which my mother always told me about as a kid. She literally made this place sound like heaven on earth. I guess now, I will get to find out if what she said about it was true.

The words, "Kapinga, are you ok?" brought me back to reality. I looked down to see Mukendi looking up at me with concern written all over his face. "Yes, we are buddy. We actually made it to Safe haven." I happily replied to him. I then picked him up and proceeded to walk the last 50m to the gate. I wish my mother was here with us but I guess life always has other plans.

I was a little confused as to how to get past what I could only assume to be the gates. My thoughts of climbing them went out the roof after I got up close as they were at least 5m high with barbed wire at the top. The gates were grey with a black engraving of a lion roaring with specks of gold on the lion's mane. It was such a captivating image that I completely forgot that I was supposed to be looking for a way to get through the gates and find Aunt Martha, so we could finally be safe.

My mother had called her beforehand and told her that we were coming today. The only problem was that my mother was no longer with us and I had no way to contact Aunt Martha. Heck, I don't even know what she looks like. All I know is that she is my mother's only other living relative. I guess I would just look and ask around. If that failed, I would find work and support my brother and I. We would be fine.

I put Mukendi down as he was getting quite heavy for me to carry. After placing him on the ground, he held my hand pretty tight causing me to wince. I didn't however pull my hand away because I could see the fear that was evident in his eyes. And if holding onto my hand would give him comfort, then I would let him hold onto that hand forever if need be.

"Get in now!"

I turned around and saw that the gate was now opened and there seemed to be some commotion going on on the inside. There were people everywhere running around in different directions beyond the gate. I quickly picked up my brother and walked into the opened gates. I thanked the man at the gate for opening for us, but he muttered something under his breath that I didn't quite hear and pushed us in.

I'm not sure if it was because it was getting dark or because I was extremely tired, but I couldn't make out any of my surroundings. All I remembered was Mukendi shaking me while tears ran down his checks saying, "Kapinga please don't die too."

XXXXXXX

I woke up and immediately got out of the bed I was placed in and went searching for my brother. "Mukendi... MUKENDI where are you?" Panic started crawling into me as I feared that my brother was taken away from me and I was now truly all alone in this world. I didn't even take the time to memorise my surroundings as I ran out like a madwoman. There was no one inside the house and it was already night outside. I had no idea where I was and let alone where my brother was.

I crawled onto the ground in the middle of the road as I could no longer hold in the tears. I had just lost my brother and I honestly was not sure that my mother was still alive. I don't know if I wanted her to still be alive because that would mean that she was being tortured and I couldn't choose which was better. My mom has already been through enough pain for one lifetime. I looked up in the sky as the tears rolled and prayed in silence that God would please give me my brother back.

Suddenly, I heard footsteps and saw two figures approaching in the distance. As soon as I had noticed my brother, I jumped up and ran to him. I engulfed him and didn't let go until he complained to me that he couldn't breathe. I completely forgot that I didn't even bother to dry my tears and looked like a total mess. All that mattered was that he was safe and with me.

"So, you are just going to pretend that your aunt doesn't exist?" said the woman who I completely ignored while clinging to my little brother breaking the moment that I was having with Mukendi. I got up immediately and finally looked at this woman while I simultaneously hopelessly tried to dry my tears. I looked ugly when I cried, and no one needed to see that version of me. But as soon as I saw her more tears flooded my eyes as I realised that she looked a lot like my mom. And oh how I missed my mother. 

XXXXXXXX

AN

I want to point out that I am going in depth with this book, so bare with me as I lay the foundation.

How was the first chapter? Let me know in the comments.

Don't forget to vote

XXXXX