Melanin dripping friend (24)

AN: A Christmas Eve gift for you all. 

Oh, and don't forget to vote please

XXXXX

Muamba POV

I still cannot believe that yesterday was not a dream. How could Kapinga not recognise me at all? But then again that also means that I did a great job disguising myself for this task.

Initially, I was very disappointed that she did not recognise me. I did after all come specifically to this village to spend time with her. But then I realised that this was actually a win for me. Now do not get me wrong, I am simply going to carry this façade until Kapinga fully trusts me and then I will reveal to her my true identity. That way when she realises that it is me, she will be more forgiving of my foolish acts of the past. I just needed to show her that I was a good guy and with a clean slate, it would be so much easier to achieve that.

"Kashala, that dish isn't even properly cleaned," I heard Japhet say beside me. I looked to my hands and realised that I had taken a dirty plate and was about to place it with the other clean dishes.

"What is going on with you?" Kalamabayi asked. The three of us were currently sitting on the brick wall of the dam. I must admit that I was surprised that they know about brick walls in Evet since all the houses here were made purely of wood.

"What do you mean?" I asked as if I had no idea what he was talking about. I could not tell them about Kapinga yet. I first needed to sort things out with her and then I would tell them everything. For all I know she simply agreed to meeting later today because she was too modest to say no. Besides, I did not want to get my hopes up yet and telling my friends would immediately result in that. 'Friends' I thought to myself. I had only had one friend back in kingdom and now, not even two weeks of being in Evet and I have already made two new friends.

"You simply keep drifting off as if something is on your mind," Kalambayi replied casually. However, when I looked at him, I could see that his eyes held a glint. He knew something or at least acted like it. Or maybe it was the angle of the sun. But my gut told me that he was onto me. Was it when I did not let go of Kapinga's hand when we met or was it that Kapinga told him about me asking her out. After all, Kalambayi is the one who walked her back home yesterday.

"No, I am just missing home," I replied. This was supposed to be a lie, but I truly did miss home. I missed seeing my little princess. I also missed my bed. "You said that you are going back home in a month's time, right? So, that means three more weeks including this one, right?" Japhet said and picked up a set of clean plates.

"Yes," I replied and quickly went back to washing the dish I was still holding in my hand. I rapidly finished cleaning it and then picked up the second pile of clean dishes and stood up as well. As soon as we both started walking away from the dam, I felt Kalamabyi place his hand on my right shoulder. So, I turned to face him.

"She is a good girl. Do not play with her heart Kashala," Kalamabyi said quietly. I was about to reply to him when Japhet turned around and asked, "Are you guys coming or what?" To which Kalamabyi 's response was a light jog forward. He quickly caught up with Japhet and left me alone behind. His words ringing in my mind.

Shortly, after we got back from the dam, Kalambayi's mother requested his help for something and Japhet went with him leaving me free for my date. If I could call it a date that is. Without wasting anytime, I rushed back to my little hut. I had a date to get ready for after all. Yes, I was calling it a date.

To be honest, I have never in my life changed outfits this many times. This is saying a lot considering the fact that I am a prince and all. What this really means is that that the opinion of Kapinga on me trumped the opinion of thousands of my people. I wanted her, no I needed her to like me very badly. To the point where my hands were slightly trembling and extremely sweaty. My heart kept fluttering every now and then as if it forgot that its only function was to pump blood through my body. Then it dawned on me, I Prince Muamba of Safe Heaven was nervous. This was such a strange feeling that I nearly did not recognise it at all.