Chapter 9: Between Servant and Master V

"Auntie Liu, I've failed you." Kneeling in front of the burial mound, I stare at the words engraved in the tombstone. As if the stroke of the characters are replacement to Auntie Liu's eyes, I avert my gaze to the ground.

"I won't be able to take care of Wang Ye as you'd hope..."The guilt swirling in my stomach twists and turn even more rigorously as I say those words.

"I wish I could go where to you are now... but I don't even know how to get there."

It's hard to accept.

Why in death do I still have to suffer?

I want to start over. Start a new life where I have a loving family, enough to eat, and... someone to love me.

The bamboo leaves fall from the top of the trees. In the dark forest, only fragments of moonlight escapes through the branches. The sound of a soft breeze flows by with its chilling sensation.

I'm surprised when I hear footsteps approach. A small lantern held in front of the figure. Forgetting that the living could no longer see my form, I made myself scarce. Hiding behind the closest bundle of tall bamboo trees, I peer out to witness Wang Ye standing in front of Auntie Liu's tomb.

Wang Ye? What is he doing here? So late at night, is he having trouble sleeping?

He doesn't say a word, only staring deeply. I wonder what thoughts were inside that mind of his. Even in solitary, he doesn't voice his worries. He must be troubled to visit Auntie Liu this late at night. With her gone, who could be that one for him to depend on?

Suddenly in an annoyed tone, Wang Ye asked, "Who's there?"

Did he see me?

Glad that I'm finally noticed by Wang Ye, I couldn't help but feel nervous at the same time. I step out to meet him. Only another person cuts me off and quickly hurries over to him.

She greets him with a bow, "Wang Ye."

"What are you doing here?"

I don't recognize her, but she is dressed in our maid uniform. However, what is she up to by watching Wang Ye this late at night?

"Wang Ye, I noticed you weren't in a good mood... so I followed you here."

Is she thinking that she could have some alone time with Wang Ye? Such a tiring stunt to see time and time again. Many girls have attempted to corner Wang Ye in hopes to receive his favor. She is no different.

"There is no need for you to do such a thing." He turns and starts walking back to the path leading to the manor.

Over his shoulder, he tells the maid, "Go back."

She nods and follows him, appearing dispirited that she failed to capture Wang Ye's interest.

Ah, he really cannot see me... It was her that he noticed.

A reflection of the moon hits my eyes, and I'm drawn to the hand of the maid. A sharp dagger in her right hand slowly aiming at Wang Ye's back.

She's an assassin!

"Watch out, Wang Ye!" I screamed as loud as I could, knowing that he would not be able to hear. I lunge at the maid, trying to grab onto her hand.

To my surprise, my hands grabs onto her warmth, pulling her back. She is confused by my sudden interruption. From her eyes, I can see that I am something she can perceive. Pulling and pushing, I try to shake the dagger out of her hand. She fights back, swaying me with her strength.

"Who are you?! Who sent you?!" I command her to reveal.

She grits her teeth and kicks my abdomen, sending me backwards a few steps. I don't feel any pain. About to jump her once more, she leaps off the ground and flies off into the bamboo forest, disappearing into the night.

"I... I really fought off a deadly assassin to protect Wang Ye..."

Wang Ye? Where did he go?

I hurriedly float over to the back entrance of the manor and spot Wang Ye entering. Oblivious to the disguised assassin, he walks to his residence to rest for the night. He must have not heard the commotion back in the forest.

"I can protect Wang Ye. I can stay with him and protect him. I won't have to break my promise with Auntie Liu."

What ever reason I can use to justified my lingering will always make sense to me.

Once morning comes, I wait for the girl outside Kai Yun. I'm still not able to get pass her warding. Being near it gives me a mild headache, but I have to meet with her. After all she was the only person who could see me... Well, up until last night.

She furrows her eyebrows when her eyes lay on me.

"I thought I told you to leave to the afterlife or wherever?" She asks.

"Do you think it's that easy? If I knew where to go I would have gone."

She rolls her eyes. "What are you doing here? Were you waiting for me?"

I walk up a little closer to her and say, "Last night, I was visiting our Auntie Liu's grave. Wang Ye was there. A woman disguised as a maid followed him and was about to assassinate him! For some reason, I was able to grab a hold of her and scared her off. How is that even possible? I wasn't able to pick up a single thing that day..."

"Did that really happen?" She gives me the side eyes and is doubtful of what I told her.

"I tell you even I was surprised!" I look at my hands, shaking from just remembering the incident. "I felt the warmth of her wrist. As I fought her, I felt her strength pushing against me. Her eyes... she was looking right into mine."

The girl doesn't say anything for awhile. Contemplating, she stares at the ground.

"So? Why are you telling me this?"

Taken aback, I stutter, "I-- I just think there's a reason for me to stay. I can protect Wang Ye."

"You won't always be able to protect him."

"What do you mean?"

"Yes, you can touch someone when strong feelings materialize in that moment. You wished to protect Wang Ye, so you were able to penetrate the veil of the dead and gain the ability to physically come into contact with the living."

"Then I can always protect Wang Ye."

"Don't you get it?"

"What?"

"What other things can come back from the dead and harm the living?"

My eyes widen and my heart drops. I didn't even realize it.

She says, "Vengeful spirits."