Chapter 7: Between Servant and Master III

A spine chilling breeze drifts by and scattered leaves follow it like lost souls without attachment to the worldly.

The young maid shivers, holding her shoulders close together. Unfortunately, she was picked by random to work the kitchen that day with Xiao Bai, the now odd recluse who refuses to speak. She is just as creepy as the scary stories that Wang Ye's Manor is haunted.

Two other maidservants slowly walk by, whispering closely together.

"Isn't it really spooky nowadays? I think the rumors about the limping maid is true," one say.

"Yeah, that she got killed during Wang Ye's return and is now haunting his manor."

"She used to always hang around Wang Ye like a fly. Guess her spirit is used to old habits."

"Don't even think about being up at night. I hear you can sometimes see her limping around the courtyard near Wang Ye's chambers."

"Why won't Wang Ye seek a taoist?"

"Wang Ye doesn't believe in it."

"So we have to live in fear?"

"Just keep your head down and avoid getting picked to serve Wang Ye... like Xiao Jun over there."

Yes, the maid Xiao Jun has been chosen, and she is terrified.

Not only did those two add to her fear, but other supernatural things have happened that have everyone perplexed. Food is cooked and served to Wang Ye, even though no one has even awaken. Bed sheets and clothes hang on the clothesline in the middle of the night. Wang Ye somehow is satisfied with his bathing schedule, although no one has been assisting him with that in months. As soon as a maid enters the bathing room, someone had already taken care of it.

Xiao Jun doesn't want this station of Wang Ye's Manor to be her permanent role, but no one else wants to be as close to Wang Ye as before.

She enters the kitchen after much waiting, trying to build up courage.

"Xiao Bai Jiejie?" No one is in the kitchen. Vegetables are washed and placed on the counter.

Suddenly, the fire from the oven ignites with a bright red and the volume of a roaring lion.

"Aaaack!" Xiao Jun wastes no time showing her cowardice towards the limping ghost and runs.

She doesn't see the person walking towards the kitchen and runs into them.

"Ghost!" She cries.

Taking another look, the figure is actually another maid like her and still warm to the touch.

"X-- Xiao Bai Jiejie?" Shaking, she is relieved to see it's the living, even if it is the mute Xiao Bai.

Xiao Bai ignores her pitiful look, walking into the kitchen with no fear. She did not fear the rumors nor the stories that Chu Chu is an evil spirit. Chu Chu was her friend like an older sister to her. She stood up for Xiao Bai and looked after her.

There were times when she felt Chu Chu's presence. In their shared room, the cold would seep through the window and walls, and she knew that meant Chu Chu was there with her. But she wasn't scared. She missed Chu Chu, so if Chu Chu could come back in whatever form then Xiao Bai wished to see her again.

But she never met Chu Chu's apparition, only heard from others' whispering.

However, she is frustrated. Whether it's Chu Chu or not, the fear of a ghost has caused the manor to run a muck. People are too afraid to get work done and maids like Xiao Jun run out of Wang Ye's personal quarters before the day could even start. This led to the contempt and bad mouthing of Chu Chu, which angered Xiao Bai.