Chapter 2 - Drawing of Shadow II

A new maid joined Aunt Liu and I in taking care of Wang Ye's needs.

Her name was Zhou Bai. I called her Xiao Bai. She was overly timid. I assumed it must be because she was often bullied as a child. Through my own observations, I found she was still easily pushed around.

The other servants looked at her the same way they look at me. With repulsion. There was nothing wrong with the way Xiao Bai looked. She was a thin girl, pretty brown eyes, small lips and button nose.

It wasn't until when she spoke that I realized people grouped us together for a reason.

"Ch- Ch- Chu Chu Jiejie, is- is- is this ho-- how you do- do it?"

"Ah? Aw, you're doing it fine."

Xiao Bai had a stuttering problem. People would call her stupid and slow. Only my body was disabled and people still said I was stupid, even though there was nothing wrong with my brain.

I didn't know why Wang Ye chose her to serve him as well. However, Aunt Liu was getting older and could not do as much as she did before, and I was a mere crippled maid who did everything at a slower pace. Xiao Bai had fast hands, was a quick learner. She and I got along well. 

The weather had a chilling breeze sweeping through the manor. It was the season of persimmons. I planned to go to the market and buy a batch to dry in the sun for Wang Ye. Wang Ye wasn't fond of eating various kinds of fruits but persimmons were his favorite. 

I looped my arm around the handle of a woven basket. Xiao Bai and I were on our way to the busy market. I was sure she'd be joyful to go out and not work for an hour. Her eyes were gleaming,  and she couldn't stop her lips from stretching into a smile. 

"Look, it's the disabled duo." We heard another servant whispered as we passed by. 

"They think they're like us just because Wang Ye pities them," another said.

"That new one speaks like an idiot."

"What is Wang Ye thinking? Turning his manor into a shelter for useless cripples."

My legs stopped moving on their own. The anger I felt in my chest, the rising waves of injustice suddenly overcame my ability to ignore their words. 

"Hey, she stopped." I heard them continuing to whisper.

"Chu-- Chu-- Chu Chu Jiejie?" Xiao Bai pulled my sleeve with her long fingers. She was pleading for me to let it go, didn't want an argument to ruin her day out of the manor.

They can do what they want to me. They can call me names, they can hit me until they are satisfied. But they cannot bully my friends. They cannot harass Xiao Bai nor can they speak ill of Wang Ye.

I turn around to face them. Not expecting a confrontation, they cowered for a second before returning to their cocky poses.

"You dare to disrespect Wang Ye?" I asked.

The young servant with sharp eyes talked with an undisciplined tone. "What are you talking about?"

"You think Wang Ye is wrong for allowing me and Xiao Bai into his manor? Just who do you think you are to question Wang Ye's decisions. Are you thinking that you are above Wang Ye to be speaking like this?"

"You-- You are making things up! I never said that."

"I may be crippled, but I have served in this manor longer than both of you. I know the ins and outs of what goes on in here. What makes you think that I won't be able to get both of you kicked out?"

"Aren't you arrogant?!" The other blurted.

"I have reasons to be. I have Wang Ye supporting me when it comes to dealing with unruly servants like you. If you don't want to get flogged you better learn to respect others in this manor. Let me tell you being here for 10 years I've seen people like you come and go because eventually they will do something to offend Wang Ye. Whether that be talking ill of others or having the audacity to put your nose in Wang Ye's business where it doesn't belong."