Chapter 11: Flower that Blooms in Death II (draft)

"You're so annoying, you know that?" Gui walks slowly while carrying a tray with the headache medicine I asked her to brew for Wang Ye.

"It's only a minor inconvenience to you. Wang Ye's headaches often plague him in times of stress," I lecture.

"You were so aggravating. Wash like this, pour the water this way, the fire's too hot, it'll burn! I can't bear to listen to your nagging anymore."

"Fine. I'll leave you alone after this."

We arrive at Wang Ye's study. The door is open. She knocks on the frame to alert him .

"Come in."

She enters and I follow. She sets the tray down on Wang Ye's desk. He observes it for a while and says, "What is this?"

"Uh... I heard that you get headaches often and brewed some medicine for you to alleviate the pain. I just asked your maids in the kitchen." Gui scratches her head, not knowing how to answer.

Wang Ye lifts the ceramic top of the cup. He sets it aside and raise the cup to his lips. He takes a sip and takes a moment to savor the taste.

"I haven't had this medicine in awhile."

"I see," Gui says and sits down in the chair across the desk. She eyes me up and down.

"I hope you don't mind me sitting through lessons with Wang Ye," I smile.

She sighs and turns her attention back to Wang Ye.

"So? What will you teach me today about the supernatural?" Wang Ye asks. Setting down the cup, I see that he has finished drinking all of the medicine.

"Well... Let me see. Where should I start? Ah! How about we go over some Ghost Legends?"

"Sure."

"Have you heard of the painted skin legend?"

"Yes. It's where a ghost hiding its true nature seduced a scholar by wearing painted skin."

I've heard of this legend. Mostly, I was irked the scholar fell for the ghost when I first heard it. He was a married man who hid this beautiful mistress in his study. She turned out to be an evil spirit. Well, serves him right.

Wang Ye questions, "Does this really happen? Can ghosts wear skin like that?"

"Uh, technically if it is a very strong spirit. Usually, unstable or weak ghosts can only live within their realm of death."

"Realm of death?"

"Realm of death refers to a ghost only functioning in the area of where they died. It may just wander the area or relive its death over and over."

"There are ways to protect ourselves from these things?"

I gulp nervously. What could this mean for me if Wang Ye decides to ward me off?

"Of course. The most powerful thing is the Heavenly Bead inside of you. Other ways of protection are talismans and temples. There are also rituals that can be conducted to rid of spirits."

"What about curses?" Wang Ye changes the subject.

"Curses?"

"Can the Heavenly Bead repel curses?"

"I-- I suppose it can. It is a holy artifact that will protect against all evil."

Why is Wang Ye mentioning curses? Does he really have an interest in the occult?

I watch on as Gui elaborates on types of spirits and ways to chase them off. She pulls a blank piece of thin paper from Wang Ye's desk and places it in front of him. Moving behind him, she reaches over and starts showing him the strokes of the spell. Wang Ye takes a closer look at her hand motion. The tip of the brush graze over the pale parchment, leaving elegant, sinuous lines. Just then his eyes found something more interesting to focus on. With her face so near his, I observe him watching her face intimately the entire time she explains the texts.

Something inside my chest is overflowing with boiling contempt. I turn my head away and walk out of the study.

What can I do with these intrusive feelings? Why do I feel so hopeless?

Watching the sun set, the melancholic atmosphere makes it even more lonesome. Wind softly brushes the surface of the pond, illustrating flutters of ripples all across.

"Eating a bowl of noodles with fresh broth could make things just a bit more bearable," I say out loud.

I realized I haven't had a proper meal in awhile. Not even a plain bun to relieve the pain of hunger.

I guess now that I've realized it, I do feel a bit hungry.

"Wang Ye must be getting ready for bed now."

Wandering back to Wang Ye's quarters, I monitor Xiao Bai preparing his bath. From now on, she will be his personal maid. With Auntie Liu and I gone, she's the only one trustworthy to care for Wang Ye.

Xiao Bai leaves the bathing room just as Wang Ye approaches. She bows to him and leaves. He enters the room and closes it, separating the steam from the outside.

I turn my back to the door and sit down on the stone steps.

Waiting around, watching Wang Ye like this can be quite... tedious.

What else can I do besides following him around?

The good thing is that Wang Ye is much more safe in the manor. However, not completely. If another assassin infiltrates the servant's department again, I will have to stand guard and protect him.

I hear the door open, and I turn to see Wang Ye exiting the room in a light robe. The cloth made of silk as reflective as the alluring pull of dark ocean waves.

Following after his casual strides, I'm still way behind. He closes his chamber doors on me.

"I should leave Wang Ye to rest..."

I don't want to intrude on Wang Ye. I have to find other things to occupy my time.

Gui is probably sleeping now. It would not be a bad idea to learn what she knows. Maybe it can be of use to me and all the while I can attempt to discover her true purpose for approaching Wang Ye.

It's past midnight.

I try not to roam the manor as I had done previously. It seems I really spooked a few servants who were finishing tasks or walking to the outhouse late at night. However, I intend to keep watch out for any strange behavior in case another assassin is on the move.

Xiao Bai is still sleeping in a room all by herself. I guess that is fine as she doesn't mind. Most maids would prefer to have their own room. I just hope the gossip of my ghost presence don't harm her in any way.

I wonder what Wang Ye thinks about the hearsay?

Wang Ye usually does not pay attention to things that doesn't relate to royal matters. I hope he just doesn't find me appalling.

Does Wang Ye remember how I died? It all happened so fast not even I can recall.