CHAPTER THIRTY-EIGHT

"John B, what are we doing at the police station?" JJ asked, the van coming to a halt outside the white brick building

"Somebody's gotta tell them what happened to Peterkin," John B replied, his voice shaking as he spoke.

Gina felt terrible for her best friend; the sheriff had practically died in his arms and her blood was still splattered all over his tee shirt. Once the cop cars had past their hiding spot, John B had demanded they go to the police station. When his friends refused unless he told them what hell was going on, he spilled the story. Everything from trying to stop the Cameron's plan to Rafe shooting the sheriff.

JJ sighed, putting his hand on John B's shoulder. "Alright, I'm just gonna be real with you right now. You might end up in the lion's den, but you don't go there on purpose. It's fundamental. Just like my old man always told me, you should never ever trust cops, no matter what the circumstance is."

Gina rolled her eyes. "I'm not saying you're wrong, JJ, the cops in this town suck ass. But are you sure you should be repeating some of the bad advice your dad gives you?"

"Yeah, your old man's an abusive liar," Kie told him, like he needed reminding.

"I agree with JJ," Pope spoke up. "Fuck the police."

"What, you going to the dark side now?" Kie asked from the driver's seat.

"When's the last time the police actually helped us and didn't just make it worse?" Gina asked, running a hand through her dark waves.

"Peterkin looked out for me, alright?" John B said, cutting off the discussion about how much the group hated the boys in blue. "Well, tried to at least. They need to know."

Gina nodded while the rest of the car stayed silent. If this was what John B wanted, she wasn't going to try and stop him. "Okay. Do what you have to do, John B."

"This isn't going to end well, I can already tell," JJ whispered, watching through the van window as their friend walked into the police station.

"I trust John B," Gina replied, her eyes following him as well. "If he thinks that this is what's best, then we have to let him do it."

"God, you sound like a mom," Pope laughed, still high as a kite.

Gina exchanged an amused look with JJ. "Yeah, well that's what happens when I'm stuck taking care of you idiots all the time."

"You do realize you're the youngest, right?" Kie asked, raising her eyebrows at her friend.

"Yeah, yet somehow I'm the most mature," Gina shot back, a grin on her face.

"No, I'm the most mature," Pope protested, the terrible british accent he used totally ruining the effect.

"You were until JJ handed you a joint," Gina chuckled.