CHAPTER ONE

Gina sat on the deck of the half-way-built fancy house, her head on her best friend, JJ's shoulder

Gina sat on the deck of the half-way-built fancy house, her head on her best friend, JJ's shoulder. She looked up and smiled at John B who was being an idiot and trying to balance on the top of the roof.

"That's about a three story fall to the deck," Pope said. "I'd give you about a three in one chance of survival."

"Should I do it?" John B asked, turning to Gina and JJ.

"Yeah," Pope said, holding up a drill. "I'll shoot you on the way down."

"You're gonna shoot me?" John B asked, pointing finger guns at Pope as he laughed. 

"They're gonna have Japanese toilets with towel warmers," the only other girl in their group, Kiara, complained, joining them outside.

"Of course they are," JJ said, rolling his blue eyes. He hated that Kooks got everything and everyone else was left with the scraps. Seriously, they got stupid stuff like towel warmers and most people on the cut had no idea where their next meal was gonna come from. "Why wouldn't they."

"This used to be a turtle habitat, but who cares about the turtle, I guess," the curly hair girl said sarcastically.

"I can't have cold towels," Gina faked distress to make fun of the Kooks.

Kie looked up to see John B still on the roof. "Could you please not kill your self."

"Don't spill that beer!" JJ yelled up to John B.

"I think you care about beer more than us sometimes," Gina laughed.

"I care about you more than beer, just not the rest of the crew," he whispered, his soft lips tickling her ear and sending a shiver down her spine that had nothing to do with the sea breeze. JJ turned back up to John B. "If you drop it, I'm not giving you another one."

Right after the blonde boy said that, John B dropped the beer like the total klutz that he is.

"Of course you did," JJ said, taking another swig of his drink. "Like right when I told you not to."

"Dumb ass," Gina muttered.

"Hey, ah, securities here," Pope said, looking over the side of the balcony. "Let's wrap it up."

"Let's roll!" JJ said, standing up and then offering his hand to help Gina up.

The group took off running poking fun at the security guards the whole way. Still holding her hand, JJ dragged Gina through the house, the two hopping the fence before diving into John B's van, Twinkie. Yes, they had named the van, get over it. The crew collapsed in a fit of laughter, bearly avoiding trouble as always.

The van sped onto the bridge, pacing the 'Welcome to The Outer Banks' sign. It was the kind of place where you either have two jobs or two houses. Two tribes, one island. The rich side was known as figure eight; home of the Kooks. Then there's the South Side, or the Cut. Home of the working class who make a living bussing tables, washing dishes, running yachts, natural habitats of, drum roll please, the Pogues. Pouges, Pogies, throw away fish, lowest members of the food chain. Ok, so the downside to Poges life is that they're ignored and neglected, but the upside to Pogues life is that they're ignored and neglected, which means they do whatever they want, whenever they want.

Gina had lived on the island her entire life. The feud between the Kooks and the Pogues was all she had ever known, but what she really wanted was to see the world and write stories. She had always had a talent for writing.

She looked over at JJ and smiled. The two had been best friends since the third grade and before you even ask, no, they're not dating. They had this flirty banter that drove their friends insane, but there was the stupid no Pogue on Pogue macking rule. Gina had been friends with John B for even longer than she'd known JJ. They had been in the same kindergarten class and had caused absolute chaos for their teacher. Sorry, Mrs. Steward. Kiara, or Kie was the only other girl in their group. Thank god she had joined them or Gina might have lost her mind with just JJ and John B for company. It was nice to be friends with someone who didn't find how loud they could burp entertaining. Pope was the final member of their group and was definitely the brains of the operation. He was a finalist for the Lucas T. Vanderwart merit scholarship and it made Gina feel like a proud mom.

Regina Dennis (nic-named Gina, Gigi, or sometimes just G because John B had struggled to say the whole thing as a little kid) was the voice of reason in the group, the mediator. It was mostly because she had such a calming affect on people, but also because everybody tended to listen to her.

John B stopped in front of the Dennis residence — a run down apartment complex with Gina and her mom being on the second floor. The dark haired girl quickly said good bye to her friends before heading inside. Her mom was finishing a shift cleaning the Cameron families huge mansion. It killed her mom, but at least it paid well.

Gina's mom, Amelia, had grown up as a Kook. She had fallen in love with a Pogue boy and she thought he was in love with her too. Turns out he was in it for the money and left as soon as he found out she was pregnant with Gina. Amelia hadn't even graduated high school yet, but her parents were so disgusted with her actions that they kicked her to the curb. Left with nothing, Amelia had given birth to little Regina Dennis. She had tried to reach out to Gina's father to see if he wanted to meet her, but never heard from him. Not even one cent of child support in sixteen years. Now, Amelia was the cautionary tale all Kook girls were told by their parents.

Gina tried not to dwell on it too much as she started to make dinner for when her mom would get home.