CHAPTER THRITY-THREE

"Look, he'll come around, alright?" John B said back at Kie's family restaurant

"Look, he'll come around, alright?" John B said back at Kie's family restaurant. "He's just, he's just doing a JJ thing."

"You think he'll go home?" Kie asked, her arms still wrapped protectively around Gina.

"There's about a zero percent chance that JJ goes home," Pope said, looking out the window. Gina could tell he felt really bad about everything that had happened.

"You okay?" John B asked Sarah, noticing how shaken up she looked.

She nodded. "Yeah. Are you?"

"I mean, I'm in one piece, so..." John B tried to smile.

"Okay, it's too dangerous to pawn this thing off piecemeal," Pope began. "So our best bet is to go down there and get the rest of it. Bring it all up  at once. Put it in a safe or a vault or something. I-I don't know. Just until we can find someone who won't rip us off. Okay, I can go figure it out tonight, get it done, and we can be out there tomorrow morning."

"Alright," John B agreed. "Let's do it. Let's go."

"What about the thing with my dad?" Sarah asked him.

"Shit," John B said under his breath.

"What thing?" Pope asked, his eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

"I have to go fishing with Ward," John B sighed.

"You can't get four hundered mil cause you're gonna go kill fish?" Kie scoffed.

"Look, I have to go," John B said, unable to look at any of his friends.

"Blow it off!" Pope exclaimed. "It's four hundred million in gold!"

"Yeah," Kie agreed. "Make something up."

"Look, I-I have to, okay?" John B repeated. "H-he saved me, alright? If it weren't for Ward, I'd be in foster care. So I have to go. Plus, it'll be better to do it at night. Right?" Pope and Kie obviously wanted to argue with him, but he was right.

Gina didn't want to say anything. She didn't know if she could say anything. She didn't care about the gold anymore, all she cared about was JJ. But he wasn't answering any of her calls or texts, making her even more concerned. She had no idea where he was or if he was okay.

"Fine," Pope sighed. "Fine, go fishing."

Kie squeezed Gina's shoulders. "And at least JJ will probably have washed up by then."

⚓ ⚓ ⚓ ⚓ ⚓

Kie, Pope, and Gina had spent the whole day getting supplies so that they could get the gold the next night night. "We gotta be done before my scholarship interview that next morning," Pope mentioned for probably the hundredth time that day.

"Okay, well, we gotta focus," Kie reminded him as they parked.

Pope nodded. "I know, I know. It's gonna be fine. We got John B and JJ inside the well and me up top. And you two and Sarah will be outside transporting the gold."