CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

The next morning they were trying out the drone the boys had stolen from the salvage yard

The next morning they were trying out the drone the boys had stolen from the salvage yard. Kie and John B were swimming under the water and looking totally stupid on the camera.

"They look like even bigger idiots than usual," Gina laughed as John B puffed out his face.

"Yeah they do," JJ chuckled. "What's this right here?"

"Don't touch that!" Pope snapped, slapping his hand away from the machine. "I'm trying to work out this thing."

"God bless geeks, Pope. Truly, man," JJ said, the three of them still staring at the screen. "What would we do without you to control the drones?"

"You'd probably make Gina do it and she'd have no idea how to work it and the whole mission would be screwed," he smirked.

"Hey!" Gina flicked him on the back of the head. "I could totally figure out how to use a drone!"

"Yeah, sure," Pope rolled his eyes. "And technically it's not a drone, it's and ROV--"

"Shut up, shut up," JJ cut him off. "It's too early for that right now."

Kie and John B broke the surface, smiles on their faces. "Hey, once we get footage of the wreck, we'll bring it to a lawyer in town and file a formal claim," John B told them.

"It's bullshit. Why do we have to do that?" JJ asked angrily.

"Well, there is maritime salvage law," Pope explained. "You can't just go down to the ocean floor and scoop a bunch of stuff up."

"I know, I know. It's just lawyer's aren't cheap, bro," JJ commented.

"Well, as soon as they see the footage, they'll work for a comp," John B explained.

Gina thought he was being overly optimistic. This island was only motivated by money — there was no way anyone would do anything for free.

"How do you know that for sure?" Gina asked, voicing her concerns.

"Cause my dad said it like a million times," John B replied.

"Yeah, that's fair," Kie said, but Gina still wasn't totally convinced.

"This tether is like really long," Pope reassured them. "In the wrong weather, it could get pushed around."

"Then we'll go at dead calm," John B said as Kie climbed up the ladder and out of the water.

Thunder rumbled in the distance before Kie said, "At slack tide?"

"So now we just gotta wait around for the right weather," Pope added, looking out over the water.

"And today is not the day," Gina sighed as thunder continued to rumble.

⚓ ⚓ ⚓ ⚓ ⚓

Later that night they all lay in the hammocks outside John B's house. John B and Pope were on one, while Kie, JJ, and Gina were on the other. JJ wrapped his arms around Gina and pulled her closer to him, one of his hands playing with her hair.