Chapter Seven-When the Blood Runs Cold

Start from the beginning

"You won't find nicer than me and I'll ask Mary Jane who is more handsome," Luc called after him as Tamas chuckled.

"I am more handsome, right?" He asked, raising a brow as I blushed, "You don't have to answer. I believe your rising color tells me what you think."

"Hey, Bro!" Someone yelled, saving me from his observations and I sighed in relief.

My gaze moved upward as I found three more young men. The youngest was around fifteen with chocolate brown hair that curved around his ears and toward his olive-toned face. His eyes were wide and silver with long, thick lashes. He came up to Tamas and fist bumped him before grinning widely.

"This is my youngest brother, Stefan," He said as his little brother surprised me by hugging me in a way that made it seem as if I was a long lost friend who had returned instead of someone he had never met.

He pulled back and grinned displaying dimples in each cheek, "Welcome to the family."

I grinned, "Thank you."

He stood near me as a boy who had the build of a football player came up to us. His hair was a mixture of chocolate and brown and his eyes were an even deeper brown. His smile was open and friendly.

"Hi, I'm Luca," he said and then, glanced at his brother, "She's pretty...Too pretty for you."

"What are you talking about?" Tamas asked, "I'm gorgeous. You're the ugly duckling. You might want to fix that before your betrothed arrives in a couple of months."

An expression of panic reached Luca's eyes as his face turned a violent shade of scarlet, "Thanks for reminding me," Luca said.

"Thought you needed it," he said as Luca walked away, grumbling beneath his breath.

"What's wrong with him?" I asked, frowning as I watched him kick the dirt like a petulant child.

"He's got a girlfriend," he said, pointing his chin toward a girl with a too short skirt, "We tried to tell him not to do it but he didn't listen. He's always been that way...Rebellious. His betrothal will not be an easy one."

I bit my bottom lip as I glanced at him, "Did you have a girlfriend?" I asked, afraid of the answer.

"Not since I was thirteen," he said and shrugged, "I didn't see the point in hurting a girl or getting attached to someone I couldn't be with."

I nodded as I frowned. I suppose I should have been thankful but I was just sad for him. He had always been waiting for me...A girl he didn't know if he could love. I glanced up at him as he shifted, nervous.

"What about you?" He asked, frowning, "Have you ever had a boyfriend?"

I shook my head, "If a boy had even said hello, my parents would have made me run in the other direction."

His hand tightened around mine and his smile widened. I wondered at the change in his mood. His grin only widened more as a man with long black hair and silver eyes walked toward us. He smiled and I instantly felt safe.

"Hi, Nadia," he said, warmly, "Lilly and Aurora have told me so much about you. I'm Ion."

My eyes widened, pleased to meet the man who had taken the place of Emilian as Lilly and Aurora's father, "I've heard so much about you too. It is wonderful to meet you," I said, with immediate affection for him.

He grinned, "I hope what you were told was all good."

"It was," I said and he laughed as he gazed at Tamas, "Your parents are looking for you. You better get to them before Sophia explodes."