Memories

memories

_______________

"Did we know each other before I lost my memories?"

Zuko's eyes widened at her query, unsure of how he should answer. He could tell her the truth, but part of him was worried that things would change if he did. He left her without saying goodbye all those years ago, and if it triggered the retrieval of their memories together, she might black out again.

"What makes you say that?"

"I just feel like... I'm missing something. There are still huge blank spots in my memory, and a big chunk of them are from my childhood. Things feel so... familiar with you."

The boy froze after turning away from Saria, not wanting his expression to give anything away. He couldn't tell her now, not while she was so vulnerable.

"No, we only met a few times. Our parents knew each other, but my dad has always been superior. We didn't have time for anyone below us."

A few days had passed since their encounter at the abbey, and Zuko hadn't heard a word about the Avatar. It was difficult to track him when all the information on his whereabouts was being reported directly to Admiral Zhao. His ship had been sailing with no direction or order, making Zuko. He hadn't properly spoken to anyone in days. 

Saria and Iroh sat in the main room, engaging in an intense game of Pai Sho. The other players that Iroh had formerly played against stood behind the girl, sweating profusely. None of them have ever lasted this long in a game against the wise old man. The tension was thick in the air, for it was an uncomfortably close game, and the only noise that filled the room was the tapping of tiles as they moved across the board. 

Iroh stroked his beard, pondering his next move. He shifted one of his tiles on the right-hand side. Saria smirked up at him and instantly took her turn, ultimately winning the match. Iroh's mouth dropped. It's been a while since he was defeated.

The players surrounding Saria cheered for her, their eyes wide open in shock. The girl stood and bowed respectfully to Iroh, who smiled back at her, proud of her achievement. 

"You're very good at this. I haven't been beaten in years."

"It seems you've met your match, old man." The two laughed at each other.

The room went fuzzy. Saria's face dropped as she began recalling a memory. She fell, overwhelmed. Iroh jumped towards her to protect her head from hitting the ground. Her skin suddenly grew pale, and she began sweating. 

In that moment, Zuko stormed in. Just as he went to yell at his uncle for something unimportant, he noticed the fallen girl. His scrunched face softened as he ran and crouched beside Saria, staring at her worryingly.

"What happened? Is she okay? Is her fever back?" 

Saria's eyes had met his before she blacked out.

"She'll be okay, she's just having another memory." 

"This has happened before? And you didn't tell me?" 

"Prince Zuko, you need to calm do- What are you doing?"

Zuko ignored his uncle and lifted Saria into his arms, carrying her bridal style to her room. This wasn't like regular amnesia; there was some other reason for her sickness, and Zuko was determined to figure out what was making her so unwell.

<>

-SARIA'S POV-

"Saria..."