The Other Woman

the other woman

_______________

The morning sun painted streaks of amber across the sky as Saria slipped out of their apartment at the first available moment, avoiding confronting Zuko about their argument the night before, when words were exchanged in frustration and hurt.

"I wasn't, but even if I was, it would be none of your business! You've barely touched me since we kissed at the Water Tribe; did that mean nothing to you, Zuko?"

"No, it didn't mean anything!"

Saria was aware that Zuko had a tendency to speak from his anger and say things he didn't really mean. She had experienced this firsthand a few times during their journey on his ship those months ago. 

But this time, the weight of his words carried much more pain, and it made Saria feel uneasy. She had been concealing parts of her identity from both Zuko and Iroh, convinced it was something she needed to figure out on her own. Consequently, it put a wedge between her and Zuko, who interpreted this distance as a veil of secrecy.

Saria wandered through the bustling streets of Ba Sing Se, finding herself in a labyrinth of alleys and marketplaces, seeking solace in the anonymity of the city. Eventually, she stumbled upon a small clearing adorned with a patch of untamed grass—a rare oasis amidst the stone and concrete.

The grass felt cool beneath her fingertips as she sat. Lying on the grass, Saria stared up at the sky, contemplating the vastness of her challenges. The city's noise became a distant hum, drowned out by her thoughts which swirled with the weight of her secret identity pressing upon her, a burden she had chosen to bear alone. She had hoped that Ba Sing Se would give her information on the late Avatar Kyoshi, and help her discover her fate, but it just pushed her further away.

After what seemed like hours of lying amidst the grass, Saria slowly stood, a sense of weariness washing over her. She ambled away from the tranquil clearing without looking behind. Unbeknownst to her, the grass that she had touched blossomed into a vibrant array of flowers, their colours bursting forth in silent celebration. Flowers that weren't there before.

Upon her return to the apartment, Saria quickly discovered its emptiness, implying that both Zuko and Iroh had most likely departed for their shift at the tea shop. A sigh of relief escaped her lips as she settled into the bed that held shared moments with Zuko, the echoes of the night lingering in the air, creating a bittersweet ambiance. 

As she drifted to sleep, a distant voice called out to her before she fell into a state of unconsciousness.

'Help the Avatar, Saria...'

<>

While Zuko navigated through his usual shift at the Pao Family Tea House, an air of frustration surrounded him, manifesting in his grumpy demeanour. His recent discourse with Saria fueled his inner turmoil, and he couldn't shake the thought that there might be a deeper connection between her and Jet, surpassing just mere friendship.

Zuko had started feeling Saria's increasing distance since their reunion in Ba Sing Se, and jealously gnawed at him. Each day, she embarked on new adventures, leaving Zuko feeling left behind.

Lost in his thoughts, Zuko's eyes unexpectedly locked with those of a dark-haired girl, her gaze holding a knowing depth. A chill crept up his spine, stirring an unsettling feeling within him. Zuko walked over to his uncle, who was atop a ladder.

"Uncle, we have a problem."

Descending from the ladder, Iroh wore a concerned frown as he observed Zuko's evident distress.