"and I see that you're still not in the halloween spirit", evelyn teased back, sticking her tongue out.

"I'm obviously in the halloween spirit! I just enjoy the holiday in a different way than you do", malfoy sneered.

"oh really?? how?"

evelyn was genuinely curious, as she only knew the dress up and trick-or-treating portion of the holiday. she wasn't sure what else there was to do other than enjoy a wonderful feast of roasted turkey and mango pudding.

"the best part is the scary stories! but obviously a hufflepuff like you won't be able to handle it", malfoy laughed.

evelyn pouted. "what's that supposed to mean?! hufflepuffs can handle scary stories!"

"oh really? fine, let me tell you a story. and if you're not scared by the end of it, I'll agree that hufflepuffs aren't the scaredy-cats that I claim they are".

"fine! when?", evelyn asked, suddenly feeling a test of courage surge through her.

"right now", malfoy grinned as he pulled evelyn by the wrist and dragged her outside the dining hall.

usually students weren't allowed to leave, and if they were, the teachers would notice. but since it was more crowded than usual, most of them were either eating away or scanning for troublemaking kids (which meant the weasley twins).

malfoy ran into the dark hallway, with evelyn trotting behind.

with only the moonlight shining in through the windows, there were no other light source, as it was getting closer and closer to the students' curfew.

"malfoy...where are we going??", evelyn quietly asked, as the two finally reached the second floor, right above the great hall.

malfoy suddenly stopped running, stopping in the middle of the hallway and making evelyn bump into the boy.

"ouch! why did you—"

evelyn gasped, eyes wide open. she covered her mouth as she saw hermione, ron, and harry standing right outside the girl's bathroom.

although it wouldn't have been that weird for the three to be standing there if there wasn't blood writing on the wall and mrs. norris (argus filch's cat) wasn't petrified—hanging from the torch bracket.

"e-evelyn, listen! w-we can explain!!", ron said in a panicked tone.

"stop it ron! you make it sound like we committed a crime!", hermione harshly whispered.

"I thought you guys were at headless nick's party??", evelyn meekly asked, finally finding her voice.

"we were! but we couldn't even eat anything in there since it had worms and maggots everywhere!", ron complained, scrunching his face up in disgust.

"and what are you two doing here??", harry suspiciously asked, looking from malfoy to evelyn.

"we're—"

suddenly the crowd of students that were in the dining hall had appeared, along with the teachers. all were shocked as evelyn and malfoy had been when they saw the three students at the end of the hall, with the hanging cat and bloody words.