Arrangements

"Did she...?" Eugene asked, slowly walking over to me and coming to a stop once he was behind my back.

I dropped my head and nodded.

"Let's tell the others now." He didn't respond. We both rushed downstairs and all but busted down Lawrence's door.

"Lawrence! Sue's dead!" I ran to him sleeping on the ground and shook him awake.

"Huh? What?" He sat up and put his glasses on, blinking a few times. "What happened?"

"We were doing patrol on the third floor and Sue was in one of the rooms. She was bleeding and she looked like she was beaten up." I was shaking kneeling next to him.

"Wake everyone else up. We're going to have a meeting."

Eugene and I split up to wake everyone up and finished in no time. Everyone was now sitting at the table, tired and confused.

"Sue is dead." There were a few gasps and intake of breath. This was now the third death so far. Was it ever going to stop?

"Eugene and (Y/n) found her while patrolling. It's too late to do anything tonight, so tomorrow we will bury her body out in the field." Hailey burst into tears. Since she was sitting next to me, I went to comfort her but she jumped out of her seat, completely petrified of me.

"Don't!" She yelled. That's the loudest I'd ever heard her speak.

"Hailey-" I began, pushing myself out of my seat. She backed up to the wall. I could see her trembling in fear and she was squeezing her coat. "I didn't hurt her, I swear!"

"Yeah, Hailey. Quit it! She was in her room all night and was with me the whole time during patrol." Eugene hopped on my defense. "Plus, Sue would've freaked out when she saw her if she was the one who did it."

"Freaked out? She was alive?" Lawrence asked.

"Yeah, but she could barely talk, she was coughing up blood," Eugene elucidated.

"Oh my God." Harry looked like he was going to throw up. "What are we going to do? We can't let whatever it is continue to kill us."

"I agree," Ethan and Zion said.

"If anyone has any ideas on how to make this place safer, please, speak up," Lawrence asked the group.

"Maybe have everyone in pairs?" Zion suggested. "That way nobody is ever alone. Plus, I doubt whatever or whoever can take two people at once."

I agreed with his idea. It was practical and made a lot of sense. I knew I would feel a lot safer with someone always by my side.

"But with Sue gone, it'll be an odd number." Harry pointed out.

"Then there'll have to be a group of three." Everyone looked around the table, thinking about who they'd want to be partnered with. I knew that I wanted to be with Eugene, but who knew if he wanted to be with me or even if they would allow boy/girl groups. But we all knew Hailey would have a heart attack if we were put together since we were the only girls left. The whole situation was confusing.

"We can figure out our partners tomorrow-"

"No!" Hailey cut him off. "I'm too scared to sleep alone. We should do it now."

"Yeah, I think we should, too." Ethan agreed with Hailey. Lawrence looked at everyone else who nodded in agreement.

"Okay. Then I'll put names in a hat and pick at random so it's fair and so nobody gets offended." I sucked in a breath. Now there was only a small chance that I'd end up with Eugene. Not that I would mind being with any of the others, but I just trusted Eugene so much more even with everything going on between us.