Scavenging

The next morning, I was the first to wake up. We were in the same position as we were when I fell back asleep. We held each other all night. I smiled against his neck as an overwhelming feeling of giddiness overcame me. That was the best I had slept since Judy went missing. We would always cuddle up against each other to stay warm and we'd talk all night about our dreams and our family and gossip about which boys we thought were the cutest. I teased her about liking Jay and she would tease me about Eugene. I smiled at the bittersweet memory.

Looking up at him, I took in all his beauty, inspecting every detail of his face. He had a few freckles on his cheeks and he had a mole just under his jaw. His hair was wild when it wasn't trapped inside his hat. He looked so sweet as he slept like he didn't have a worry in the world.

I heard Eugene stir and went stiff. Should I pretend to be asleep? Should I pull away from him?

Before I could choose what to do, there was a knock at my door.

"(Y/n), it's time for the morning meeting." It was Lawrence. Now we were definitely both awake.

I was the first to pull away, untangling myself from his arms. When I looked over at him, he was wiping his eyes with the palms of his hands, but I could see that his cheeks were flushed. I turned back to put my shoes on and smiled to myself.

I cleared my throat and stood up, picking up my bra from the ground.

"I need to get dressed so you can either leave or look the other way." He looked up at me, confused.

"Get dressed? You're already dressed, stupid-" He spotted the bra hanging from my hand and was cut short. His cheeks went red.

"I'll go. They'll get suspicious if they see us leave together." I nodded my head and watched as he walked to the door.

Once the door clicked shut I turned around and pulled my shirt off. Goosebumps immediately formed over my entire body from the cold. I hurried to clip the back and pulled the straps on.

"(y/n)? We're all waiting on you." Zion's voice echoed through my room. The doorknob began to twist and I spun around.

"Wait- I'm getting dressed!" But it was too late, the door was open. My hands naturally went to cover my chest.

"What did you say? What's taking so long-" Zion stopped in his tracks, his mouth dropping to the floor.

"Zion!" I yelled, turning around to block his view. I bent over to pick up my shirt and quickly put it on.

"Haven't you ever heard of knocking." I huffed, pretending to be mad. I was a little startled, but I could never get mad at someone as innocently dumb as him.

"Sorry! I thought you were still asleep!" I rolled my eyes walking past him, shutting him in my room.

"Hey!" I heard his footsteps chasing after me. "I said sorry." He said once he caught up to me.

"I accept your apology." I smiled at him.

We walked into the meeting, all eyes were on us. I searched the room, looking for Eugene who I spotted over by the window. He was sitting on the windowsill, staring out at the football field. He looked distracted.

I took a seat next to Sue who greeted me with a 'Good morning'. I said it back as Zion joined Eugene at the window.

"Now that everyone is here, we can get started." Lawrence greeted. "As you all know, we've been running low on food and other supplies, so we'll need to send a few out to do some searching a little farther out than usual since we've already scavenged through the nearby places."