chapter 10

chapter 10:
neutral sides.
Mulan

"Why did you not tell us that you were engaged?"

I chuckled darkly, "You didn't really ask as they took turns on me."

Lancelot swore he would protect me, meaning leaving me in the camps while I healed and he went to hunt more Fey. Yet in order for me to not look like a traitor, Lancelot made an elaborate lie as to why we shared two halves of a necklace. Engagement.

"Those men-"

"Were nothing but boys," I cut Carden off, "And the Pope will hear of this."

"Oh, but God-"

"I'm not Christian, so I don't give a damn what he says. The Pope will hear about how you willingly let Paladins defile the Weeping Monks fiance and you will be replaced, if that is all he chooses to do with you," I smirked, leaning back in my tent and Cardens rage started to build up inside. It was in his eyes.

"Please, I ask-"

"Beg," I snapped, "Beg for forgiveness."

He hesitated, but eventually got down on his knees and placed his hands in a prayer.

"I beg for your forgiveness, Mulan."

Hm.

"You are forgiven," I said with my fingers crossed behind my back and he scurried out, his face burning pink from the humiliation.

Even if he kills me in the night for this, at least I can die with the knowledge that I put Carden on his knees.

I don't know what Carden and the other Paladins think now that Lancelot and I have come up with this ruse, and hope they do not expect us to start displaying affection in public. But, if that is what it calls for, especially concerning his safety, then I'll do my best.

Maybe. . .maybe some kisses on the cheek?

Certainly not the lips.

My fingertips brushed over my lips, wondering what it would be like if it came to that. What kind of kisser is he? Is he gentle? Is he rough? Is he passionate? Just the mere thought of him planting his lips upon mine infront of others made my heart race and I even pictured it, sending shivers up my spine.

N-no, don't think about that!

When the time comes, it will not be a big deal.

But, I began to think about it. How long will this charade go on? Weddings take a year to prepare, but surely it will take longer with all of this going on. We will have to really plan a real wedding, pick out real flowers, pick out real decorations - all of it! And surely small pecks on the cheek will not convince the Church, they will want to see us kiss in public, and when the night of the wedding comes, they'll have a Paladin or someone from the Church posted outside the door to ensure that we have se-

"Mulan."

"Lancelot," I embraced him in a hug, but feeling so different from before. As my arms wrapped around him, they felt his back muscles and I got this new feeling when his chest pressed against mine.

"Are you alright? Did they hurt you?" His eyes shone with genuine concern and care for my well being, and it didn't feel out of nowhere.

Almost like it was hidden.

"N-no, I'm fine," I stepped back, trying to calm my heart with these newfound thoughts.

"I'm just worried how far we may have to go with this. What if we end up actually married?"

I never pictured myself as wife material, staying home to cook and clean and raise the children and all that.

"I'll take care of it," He dismissed it, as if being married for real was nothing!

"But, I'm still considered a foreigner amongst you all. What if the Church says no? And you get into trouble? I mean, do you even want to marry a foreigner-?"

"I always found Asians quite beautiful."

Did. . .did he just. . .?

"The culture, I mean."

Oh.

"And you have nothing to worry about. For now, just follow my lead," I reluctantly nodded, and just as I felt myself relax, Carden walked in.

"Abbot Wicklow would like to see the newly engaged couple."

Fuck.

(As the chapters go on and season 2 is confirmed, you'll start to see more of animated Mulan and the live action side of her, and the more ~gentleman~ side of Lancelot and I'll be pulling stuff from Arthurian legend)