he just let out an irritated scoff, as if he hasn't been insulting her for the past 5 minutes.

"and you?", evelyn asked.

"what?"

"and your family?", evelyn specified.

malfoy started grinning. "I come from the great malfoy family. there isn't much to it other than the fact that I get everything I want and we never need to worry about what to eat the next day".

"I see", evelyn mumbled.

"is that why you have a worn out robe, old textbooks, and no pet?", malfoy asked, looking through evelyn's notes.

"you noticed?"

"it's hard not to see how poor someone is, especially if they can't even afford to get a pet", malfoy laughed.

"well your observations surely aren't wrong. professor dumbledore was kind enough to sponsor most of my items, even though I had greatly refused".

"so you owe him?" malfoy raised a brow.

"very much so. without him, I probably wouldn't even be here right now".

malfoy couldn't understand. he couldn't comprehend how the girl was so happy all the time even though her parents probably left her and are dead now.

he grew up eating with a golden spoon. everything was given to him by his request—well—most things. his parents loved him unconditionally, especially since he was their only child; the only heir to the malfoys.

"are you going to try for quidditch next year?", evelyn suddenly asked, changing the topic. "and can you hand me 4 mistletoe berries please?"

surprisingly, malfoy did as told. "obviously! in fact, I'm almost certain I'll make it on the team", he boasted.

evelyn lightly chuckled. "I see. well if you do make the team, I'll make you some cinnamon apple cookies as congratulations".

"and for every game I win?"

evelyn raised a brow. she knew malfoy was confident, but not so much as to claim that he'd win every quidditch game.

"sure. only if you win though", evelyn said.

malfoy grinned. "obviously. be ready to bake me tons of those cinnamon apple treats!"

evelyn just smiled as she stirred the pot counterclockwise. within minutes, the potion was finally finished. she carefully poured some into a glass beaker and stuck a cork on top to stop it from spilling.

"done! goodbye now", evelyn said as she packed up all her things and got ready to leave.

"wait! where are you going?", malfoy asked, suddenly sitting up.

"my dorm. I need to study for finals", evelyn said, as if it was the most obvious thing ever.

"study? it's like a month away!"

"which is exactly why I need to study. I'm hoping to receive as high of scores as hermione. which means that I have to work just as hard".

malfoy scoffed. "I bet I can score higher than you without having to study".

"bold claim. wanna bet on it?"

"there's not much for you to lose. so what do I get if I win?"

"mm, cookies?"

malfoy rolled his eyes. "isn't there anything else other than cookies that you can give me?"

"well what do you want then?"

"mm...how about you tell me every secret potter possesses", malfoy bargained.

"do you like harry? I swear, you have a secret crush on him or something", evelyn mumbled.

malfoy choked.

"I DO NOT!! how can you even say such a foul thing?! if I could, I'd try to get him expelled!"

evelyn pouted at that. she liked harry, and she didn't want one of her friends to be expelled because of some ferret boy.

"fine. but if I win, you must buy me an owl. preferably one like harry's!! snow white and dainty!", evelyn smiled.

malfoy fake gagged. "fine, deal".

both first-years held their hands out and shook on it.

"deal", evelyn said.

┌─────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ───────┐

└─────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ───────┘