Chapter 27 - Grounded

Start from the beginning

"Have you ever been in a relationship with her? You guys seem pretty close."

"No, we have never been involved. I do love her, she's been in my life forever and is very important to me, but she's my sister, and her brothers are mine. She's dating Matt, an excellent and caring man, and I couldn't be happier for her."

"I know that I'm prying now, but, why did you take Jordan in? You barely knew anything about him when you gave him a home. Was it in your plans to ever foster a child?"

"Something like that had never crossed my mind. In fact, after making the commitment I was still doubtful on whether I did the right thing. But you should have seen him on that night. He was desperate, injured and it hit too close to home. My life growing up wasn't much different than what Jordan has gone through. The difference is that my father didn't commit murder anyone, he was just aggressive and abusive. That's why I felt I needed to do something. I had the care and support of Erin's parents and I hope that Jordan finds that in me. It's challenging because he grew up without structure and rules. We are still finding our way there and I just got an appointment for us to see a therapist."

Gianna places her hand over mine, and gives it a gentle squeeze. I turn mine to hold hers and it feels so good, so right.

"Noah, I don't say this lightly. I'm really glad that you asked me out. I don't go out much, but I've never felt this click with someone."

"I feel the same. I hope you would like to go out soon again. Or maybe you won't want that if I don't like the food in here," I tease.

She laughs and shakes her head. "I'm willing to oversee that if it happens."

We spend the rest of our date talking about the things we enjoy and it surprises me how much we have in common. We listen to the same bands and a perfect day is spent chilling at home. She likes to cook and I do too when I have the time for it. I did try a piece of her sushi and didn't like it. I was forgiven like she said.

Since Gianna had taken a taxi to come to the restaurant, I brought her home and kissed her while standing in front of her door. She invited me to come in, but I declined politely. I wanted to, but she's worth the wait because I really like her. We made plans for our next time together. I invited her to come to the club on Friday to have dinner with me first and enjoy a fun night.

As I park in my driveway and get out of my car, I hear music blasting from the living room. What on earth is Jordan doing at nine in the evening? I need to have a conversation with him. What must the neighbors be thinking? I then notice that the lights are dimmed and... Is he listening to REO Speedwagon? They are one of my favorite classic bands and I'm always playing their stuff. Didn't know he had picked some of that. I'm frozen to my spot the moment I open the door. Jordan is shirtless and making out heavily on the couch with an also shirtless Chloe.

"JORDAN TANNER!" I yell over the loud music.

I hurry to the sound system and turn it off. Jordan tries to zip the fly of his jeans as fast as he can while Chloe rushes to put on her sweater. What an irresponsible idiot! The girl looks desperately around for what I assume is her bag or other belongings, but they won't get away that easily.

"Oh no, you are not leaving yet. Sit down, Chloe. Jordan, you too. On the other couch, AWAY from her!"

I didn't sign up for this. What the hell do I do or say now?

"Were you planning to use a condom?" I look at Jordan.

"Come on, Noah," he groans and I'm starting to enjoy his embarrassment.

"Were you?"

"I thought you might have some in the bathroom or your bedroom."

"You thought wrong. I don't keep those things here in the house. Do you want to have a baby?" I look at Chloe.

"No, Mr. Tanner," she replies to the floor.

"Then guess what? This idiot was about to give you one," I point at Jordan, who looks like he wants to bury himself in the couch.

I hope they learn how close they were to get into a huge problem. I understand they are teens and hormones rule, but he should know better.

"You are grounded. Give me your phone, games, and your computer, and until next week, it will be only school, work and your bedroom. Chloe, you should go home."

Chloe grabs her stuff and leaves the house. I turn to Jordan, who looks incredibly bummed.

"Have you ever had sex before?" I ask in the calmest voice I can muster. He shakes his head. "Jordan, you need to be more careful."

"Am I really grounded?"

"Yes. You know this is not acceptable and there must be consequences."

"But I can sleep in my bed and eat in here?" 

"What?"

"Every time my father got angry at me, he kicked me out of the house. I would break into school and sleep in the gym. I had to wait until he left the house to enter through a window and get something to eat."

I close my eyes and take a moment to reflect on his words. Nolan Key's heart is made of stone.

"Jordan, you better believe that I will never, ever, harm you, make you sleep outside or deprive you of your meals. But when you break a rule or do something stupid, I will take away your privileges."

Jordan nods. He then heads to his room and returns with his electronics. He smiles and it puzzles me.

"Why are you smiling?"

"You called me Jordan Tanner."