Chapter Thirty-One

Start from the beginning

Orzala jumped as Sokka shot up beside her, glaring down at the boy. His voice was low as he spoke. "Unfortunately, we have to leave tonight." He held a hand out to the princess, pulling her up to stand with him. She shrugged to Jet, offering no apology as she followed Sokka toward their assigned tree house.

"Sokka, you've got to be kidding me!" The boy began, making Orzala freeze. She narrowed her eyes, turning back to Jet. "I needed you on an important mission tomorrow." The girl's eyes widened, and she whipped back toward Sokka. He had frozen in his spot, and Orzala let out a groan.

"Ok, one more night wouldn't hurt." Orzala huffed, walking past the boy- but not before whacking him on the back of the head. She ignored his pained gasp, storming off toward the hut. Footsteps thundered behind her, echoing through the trees as Sokka ran after her. She whirled on him, shoving a finger into his chest and his eyes widened as she glared up at him.

"I can't believe you, Sokka! All day, all you've wanted was to get out of this place and get away from that creep, but one mention of needing you for some mission, and you wanna be all hunky-dory?" He looked like an owl, staring down at her with large frightened eyes, and she sighed, walking away. "Find me after your 'mission' so we can leave. And better sooner than later, or Katara might end up marrying Jet or something."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was about midday when they returned. Sokka had immediately rushed to Orzala. "You were right, I'm sorry." Her eyes bulged at the sudden apology, but upon seeing the boy's stressed look, she grew concerned. She grasped his shoulders, rubbing them gently as she met his eye.

"What happened?" The boy told her of the old man in the forest, and how they had been prepared to beat him- hell, they might have even killed them- if Sokka hadn't stopped them. She ran a hand over her face, pacing the deck wildly as they waited for Katara and Aang to show up. The airbender showed up first, swinging from the ropes above (again) and dropping down in front of them.

"Sokka! You're back! Look at what the Duke gave me!" The avatar smirked, glancing mischievously at Momo before tossing  a pop-rock at the lemur's feet. It exploded, making the creature screech and turn to Aang angrily. It quickly hopped to his shoulders, grabbing a few rocks along the way, and threw them at the boy's feet.

Orzala threw her head back and laughed loudly, but Sokka remained unphased. "Hey, Sokka!" Katara's voice rang from above, and Orzala's gaze shifted upward to see the girl climbing down to them. She approached the three cautiously, hands holding something behind her back. "Is Jet back?"

"Whatcha got there?" The princess questioned, attempting to peek behind the girl, but Katara only moved to shield it.

"Yeah, Jet's back. But we're leaving." Sokka stood as he said this, crossing his arms as he took his place by Orzala. The younger two gasped, confusion and sadness flooding their features. Orzala frowned.

"What?"

"But I made him this hat!" Katara pulled a makeshift hat from behind her back, extending it to her brother so he could see it. Orzala clapped a hand over her mouth, shaking her head quickly.

"Oh, honey, no. Please don't give him that."

"Your boyfriend Jet's a thug," Sokka growled, cutting Orzala off as he glared at his sister. Her blue eyes widened, becoming icy at the accusation.

"What? No he's not!"

"He's messed up, Katara!"

"He's not messed up," Aang cut in. "He's just got a different way of life. A really fun way of life." He gestured around to the village in the trees around him.