Chapter Thirty-One

The night had fallen, and the gang found themselves gathered around a table up in the trees, listening to the stories of the kids. Orzala was still wary, especially of Jet, but the rest of them weren't so bad. Sokka, on the other hand, refused to trust anyone. But then again, what was new?

Jet stood suddenly, raising his glass with a smirk. "Today we struck another blow against the Fire Nation swine!" The others erupted into cheers around them, and Orzala leaned back. Yeah, she still didn't like him. She frowned as Katara clapped beside her. "I got a special joy from the look on one soldier's face when the Duke dropped down on his helmet and rode him like a wild hog-monkey."

Orzala began to laugh as the little boy jumped up, parading around with his arms raised in victory. The other kids cheered for him loudly. "Now, the Fire Nation doesn't think they have to worry about a couple of kids hiding in the trees. Maybe they're right." A large 'boo!' echoed through the trees, and Jet began to smirk. "Or maybe, they're dead wrong." 

The princess felt her heart drop as the boy's face became serious, and she ran a hand across her face in weariness. She glanced to Sokka, who was already looking at her with concern. She flashed him a small smile, scooting closer to him. "I think it's about time we get going," she whispered to the boy, and he nodded in agreement as he watched Jet traipse over to them.

"Hey, Jet. Nice speech!" Orzala rolled her eyes as Katara began to gush over the boy again, shooting him a look of disgust as he plopped down between the two girls. He flashed her his signature smirk, turning to Katara once more.

"Thanks. By the way, I was really impressed with you, Aang, and Orzala. That was some great bending I saw out there today." The princess scoffed, crossing her arms as Katara's face flushed a cherry red.

"Well, Aang's great. He's the avatar. And Orzala is already a master earthbender- and she's a master sandbender-"

"I'm not quite there yet, Katara-"

"Shut up, Zala, you're good, and you're terrifying. I could use some more training."

"Avatar, huh? Very nice."

"Thanks, Jet!" Orzala glared as his dark eyes turned to her. He cocked a brow.

"And you're a sandbender? I've never met one in person. I'd like to see that in action." Orzala shot him a sarcastic smile.

"Well, you're out of luck, dude. I lost all of my sand when I was protecting a friend of mine from Fire Nation. I haven't come across any since." The boy frowned, his expression becoming thoughtful.

"I bet I could find you some sand. How much would you need?" The princess shot him a skeptical glance. 

"A satchel full- maybe two, for back up. But where would you find sand in a forest?" His smirk was back, and Orzala wanted nothing more than to slap it off of his face.

"I know a thing or two. If I get it for you, will you show me?" She scoffed.

"Yeah, ok. I'll show you the first thing I showed Sokka." The gang's eyes widened, remembering how terrifying the girl had been when Sokka had insulted Bumi during their first meeting.

"That's probably not a good idea," Katara chuckled nervously, sending a subtle glare toward her friend once the boy looked away. Orzala smiled back innocently. Jet began to chuckle beside them.

"That bad, huh? I'm not surprised. Sokka seems like the kind of guy to start off on the wrong foot." The boy's eye twitched, and Orzala bit her lip to suppress the giggles forming in her throat. "Anyway, I might know a way that the three of you could help in our struggle."