Chapter Forty-Six

The air was thick with tension as they packed their bags. Sokka wouldn't even look at them as he collected his things, although Orzala tried very hard to catch his eye. Eventually, she gave up, slouching back in the saddle with a sigh. She had turned her back to them, playing with Appa's fur half-heartedly as she sat.

The princess furrowed her eyebrows when she heard footsteps approaching, and she whirled around to find Katara staring up at them. Her heart sunk slightly, but she met the girl's gaze head-on. 

"Good luck," the younger girl told them, her blue eyes darting back and forth between the princess and the avatar. Orzala gave a curt nod before turning around once more, forcing back the tears that threatened to fall. When the footsteps began proceeding, she looked over her shoulder one last time.

Sokka's eyes caught her own, looking half apologetic. The girl scoffed, throwing up a middle finger and crossing her arms once more. Aang sighed behind her.

"Guess we should be moving on."

"That would be best." Orzala scrunched her nose up at the Superior's words, another scoff escaping her.

"Fuck off, lady," she breathed, earning a harsh glare from the avatar. She ignored it, instead, slouching back down as Appa began to move.

"I'm an idiot, Momo." Orzala frowned, following Aang's gaze to see the three Water Tribe members going the opposite direction. She finally sighed, pushing herself up and walking further up in the saddle so she was directly behind the boy. As he steered Appa away, she plopped down, hanging her arms loosely over the sides. 

Aang didn't glance at her when she rested a hand on his back, rubbing it softly as they rode on. The princess rested her chin against the saddle, her worried gaze fixed on her friend. "You're not an idiot, Aang," she reassured. He scoffed, earning a swift punch to the back. He whipped around to face her, mouth agape as he met her glare.

"For one, don't scoff at me. Two, you're not. We both know that if I had been there instead of you I would have probably done the same thing. It doesn't make you an idiot. It just means you care." His face softened at her words, and he leaned back, resting his head beside hers. "Besides. You were only hiding a map. It's not like you're hiding a whole different side of you."

"Orzala--"

"I honestly thought you were going to tell them for a minute," the princess confessed, shooting him a lopsided grin. "I was scared." Aang frowned at her, and she shook her head. "Thank you."

"For what?"

"For not telling them, dummy." A grin threatened to emerge on the boy's lips and he looked away from her, tightening the reigns on Appa's horns.

"It's not really my place anyway. Besides, it looks like we're going alone now anyway."

"Avatar! Durga!" Orzala snapped her head to the trees. The Superior emerged from the woods, hurrying toward them. Distress covered her features, and the princess couldn't help but worry. "You must leave!"

"Yeah, we get it. Everyone wants us gone," Aang grumbled, and Orzala reached back to whack him upside the head. He stared at her, shocked, until she gestured to the woman below. 

"A group of people came to the abbey looking for you," the Superior explained, making the boy tense as he sat up, his full attention now on her. 

"Who?"

"A fierce-looking woman with a horrible monster and a young man with a scar." Orzala grit her teeth as realization sunk in. She looked at Aang.

"That's Zuko," she told him, and he nodded in agreement.