Chapter Three

Orzala wasted no time to change out of her guard's uniform, opting instead for a simple earthbender's outfit. She smiled as she slipped on her shaw. Her grandfather had had it made for her when he discovered her ability to sandbend.

"I think you'll be needing this one day," he had told her, and she didn't dare question it. But it remained one of her most prized possesion to this day, and it had been very helpful when the two made their way out of the city to practice her sandbending.

The girl braided her unruly black locks with a speed that rivaled lightning and ran out the door. This was her first proper introduction in fifteen years. She refused to be late.
As she sped down the hall, she received several startled looks from the guards. Orzala was never permitted out of her guard uniform when there were guests in the castle. A few tried to stop her, shouting warnings about their visitors and urging her to return to her chambers. She only laughed and ran on.

When the princess found herself in front of the dining hall, however, she hesitated. She'd never done this before. She'd had no one introduce her or recognize her status outside of the palace walls. Orzala was unsure how to act.

Should she be formal?

Or perhaps she should be carefree and crazy, like her grandfather.

She wrung her hands together, staring up at the large, extravagant doors that separated her from everyone else. Orzala's breath seemed to leave her as she thought on.

What if they didn't like her?

She shook her head and took a deep breath, settling herself in her mind. "You can do this, Zala. You can do this," she whispered to herself before forcing her fear away. Her fingers brushed the door slightly, and she hesitated beforepushing against them. Her eyes fluttered shut as they began to swing open.

This is it.

"Presenting Princess Orzala of Omashu."

Her heart was pounding like a drum, and Orzala began to wonder if it was possible for the organ to bust from her chest. She silently prayed to the spirits that her anxiety was not shown on her face. The king shot her a gentle smile from across the room, motioning her over. There were five chairs, three for their guests, and two at the head of the table.

She'd never been able to enjoy a meal with guests before...

Orzala held her head high as she passed the newcomers, only pausing for a moment to nod at them in respect before finding her seat. The king patted her hand as she sat, and some of her anxiety fluttered away.

"Princess?"

Orzala's green eyes darted to the water tribe girl, daring her to question her status. Her lips parted to speak, but her grandfather beat her to it.

"Yes."

"I thought Omashu's princess died years ago." The king's hand tightened on Orzala's, and a crushing weight of sadness overwhelmed her chest. She saw her grandfather's lips thin out, the flesh turning white as he pressed him together. The girl gave his hand a small squeeze.

"My daughter is no longer with us, but my granddaughter has taken her place as crown princess."

The girl gasped, only just seeming to realize the weight of her words. "I'm so sorry, that was so insensitive of me." Orzala gave her a tight smile. "It's quite alright. Not many know of me or the trials our family has faced."

Her grandfather cleared his throat before hopping up and waddling over to the small group. He chuckled as they picked at their food, swiping up the airbender's chicken leg. Orzala forced herself to keep from facepalming in embarrassment.

"The people in my city have gotten fat from too many feasts," he began, hovering over the airbender's chair, "so I hope you like your chicken with no skin."

The bald boy chuckled nervously, quietly explaining that he didn't eat meat. Orzala shook her head, messing with the food on her plate for a moment, waiting for her grandfather to return to her. She looked up for a moment, and her breath left her. The water tribe boy was eyeing her skeptically, his blue eyes icy. She quickly averted her gaze back to her plate, almost jumping when her grandfather placed his hand on her shoulder.

He raised an eyebrow at her, but she quickly shook her head and he returned to his seat. "So tell me, young bald one, where are you from." Orzala quickly raised her head again, ignoring the calculating gaze before her and focusing on the airbender. He paused for a moment.

"I'm from Kangaroo Island!" He exclaimed, making her raise an eyebrow.

"Kangaroo Island? I hear that place is really hopping." This time, Orzala really did facepalm. That was when the water tribe boy began to laugh awkwardly.

"What?" He asked, when he realized all eyes were on him, "that was pretty funny."

The king stretched out with a yawn beside her, making her turn to him. "Well, all these good jokes are making me tired. Guess it's time to hit the hay." As Orzala began to stand, the king threw a chicken leg toward the boy who caught it with a ball of air. The surrounding guards gasped, but Orzala only smiled in awe.

"He really is an airbender!" The three friends looked to her in horror.

"We have an airbender in our presence! And not just any airbender- the avatar!"

The boy quickly dropped the chicken with a gasp. "Now, what did you have to say for yourself, Mr. Pippenpadlopsicopolis?"