the dark forest was much less to say—well—dark. the misty aura made evelyn and even malfoy shudder. with every step the first-years took, it felt like the tree branches were mocking them, as they felt very alive.

"I heard there's werewolves here", malfoy suddenly commented.

"where'd you hear that from?", evelyn asked.

evelyn was scared out of her wits. two things she didn't deal well with was the darkness and forests with creatures that she wasn't even entirely sure of.

"rumors", malfoy simply answered.

he then glanced over at the girl that was a few steps ahead. fang started to whine as they walked deeper and deeper into the forest.

"something wrong fang?", evelyn meekly asked.

it felt as if evelyn spoke any louder, that a creature would come out and attack them.

the dog merely whined in response, continuing to strut behind the girl.

"tch. stupid mutt".

"malfoy, shut up—"

"shhh!"

evelyn suddenly stopped walking. malfoy stood beside her as fang smelled the musky air around them.

"malfoy", evelyn whispered, pulling on his sleeve.

"hm? scared gardener?", malfoy teased with a grin.

"shut up", evelyn firmly said while slightly pouting. she then pulled malfoy behind a tree, along with fang.

evelyn put her pointer finger against her lips, signaling for malfoy to cease his talking. she then blew out the fire that she created with her wand.

"what are we even—"

"shhh! look", evelyn whispered.

malfoy looked to see where the girl was pointing. standing about 11 feet away was a majestic unicorn. the horse itself was a beautiful pure white color. it's mane was of the same shade, however if you looked closer, each thread of hair glimmered a silver, almost rainbow, tone.

the unicorn was trotting slowly until it was hit by a wave of magic, making it fall dead on the cold ground.

evelyn shut her eyes and she covered her mouth to stop herself from whimpering.

unicorns were charming creatures. and anyone who slayed such a pure and defenseless animal, was to live a cursed life, especially if they drank the blood of the unicorn.

evelyn gripped tighter onto malfoy's robe. they were currently squatting beside fang, who was also shivering in fear.

malfoy didn't dare make a noise, as he saw a hooded-figure approach the dead unicorn.

"m-malfoy", evelyn meekly whispered. she slowly opened her eyes and looked up at the blonde boy that was even paler than usual.

they couldn't possibly send the fireworks, as the hooded-figure would surely get to them before hagrid and the rest did.

"be quiet", malfoy commanded. although even someone who didn't know malfoy could tell that his voice was filled with fear.

evelyn clutched tightly onto malfoy. the two stayed hidden behind the tree and bush. evelyn leaned her head against malfoy's chest as she felt tears brim her usual sunshine eyes.

both kids could hear the sucking of blood, as that was the only sound resonating through the eerie forest.

malfoy, scared out of his wits, started to pat evelyn's strawberry blonde hair. he could feel her shaking underneath him. she looked up at him with glossy eyes, biting her lower lip as she was afraid to make even the slightest noise.

"it's okay", malfoy mouthed. evelyn nodded, but both knew that it wasn't. they weren't sure who was out there and how powerful they were. but to be able to kill a unicorn with just one hit, surely they weren't just anyone.

after what seemed like hours, the hooded-figure finally left.

malfoy and evelyn waited approximately 15 minutes before they even dared to peek out from behind the bush.

"we need to go now", malfoy sternly said, to which evelyn just nodded.

poor evelyn couldn't even stand up without stumbling a bit. malfoy surprisingly helped her get a steady foot before letting go.

"thank you malfoy", evelyn mumbled, making malfoy stop in his track for a moment.

perhaps it was the fact that no one has ever thanked the boy, but his heart felt slightly warmer as he continued down the path that they came from.

"it's whatever. just stop being such a crybaby all the time", he retorted, making evelyn slightly smile.

—✼—

evelyn, malfoy, and the rest ended up meeting at the entrance of the forest. all were tired as they could slowly see the sun peak from the east.

"alright, thanks fer all the help! go back ter your rooms an' try ter get as much sleep as yeh can before class starts. I'll see y'all soon", hagrid said, dismissing the four kids.

the four quickly returned back to their chambers, as they had quite the rollercoaster of emotions. evelyn yawned as she quietly opened the door to her and hannah's room.

plopping onto her bed, she engulfed in the warm feeling of the blanket snuggled up against her.

there was approximately 3 hours until class started, but that was 3 hours that she could use to relax after that horrid experience.

evelyn looked up at her shared room and at her hands. they were still slightly shaking from earlier. thank god she wasn't alone, for if she was, she probably would've broken down and full on sobbed.

"perhaps malfoy's quite alright", evelyn mumbled to herself as her lids closed and her body relaxed into the comfort of safety.

┌─────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ───────┐

└─────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ───────┘