Chapter 23: Dinner

Começar do início

As I take the lasagne from the oven, Gabriel pops open the bottle of wine I left out and pours some in all of our glasses.

So far so good.

After I got everything set, the men helped themselves to the lasagne not saying anything more.

Gabriel suddenly hums looking at me, "Is this Mrs Adaira's recipe."

I smile nodding at him, "Yes, it is, although I know she makes it better." He shakes his head smiling.

"Yours mothers' food is always amazing; I don't know how she does it. She's not even Italian is she?" He asks.

"No, Fully Scottish she is, although Papa's grandmother taught her to cook when they first got together." My mother and father met when they were really young. Mamas lived in Italy for ages but always makes sure to visit Scotland a few times a year.

"Ah yes. Mr Alecardo is in Scotland at the moment." He's referring to Alex, my second oldest brother. He's the definition of a mamma's boy. He used to go over all the time with mamma and stays a lot with our family over there.

"Of course he is" I giggle and roll my eyes. "I'll need to give him a call soon."

The silence is back briefly. Jaxon just observed us as we talked, his face remaining blank the entire time.

"So onto the real reason I'm here then." Gabriel says looking between Jaxon and I. Before I get the chance to speak, Jaxon has already began.

"I appreciate you not informing Santiago of our relationship at the moment; However, I do strongly believe that this is our business and he will find out when Aleja and I see fit." Jaxon says sternly. Gabriel just stares back at him.

"I see your point Mr Macaluso, but as Alejandra's bodyguard It is my job to report back to Mr Collisimo on what Miss Alejandra has been doing. And quite frankly, fooling around with another Mafia Don seems like a relevant thing to bring up to him." Oh god.

"I understand that. However, As you said, I am a Mafia Don, therefore I don't appreciate others meddling about unwanted, in my business. I am capable of ensuring Alejandra's safety and would kill anyone that ever dared to touch a hair on her head. Your job here is irrelevant. All you have to do is report back to your boss that she is safe, because I promise she will be with me." No No this is not going the way I wanted it to.

"With all due respect Mr Macaluso, why should I trust a thing you say." Gabriel challenged. Fuck me.

"I'm a man of my word Gabriel. I also have no reason to lie. Take a look at her, Can you see any harm that's come to her?"

Gabriel gives me a once over with a scrutinizing stare. Then shakes his head, he opens his mouth to talk, however Jaxon cuts him off.

"You see. She's been around me for months now and I've kept her completely safe. Only a select trusted people in my mafia know her real identity and it will stay that way until we decide to tell her father. She also has a bodyguard from me that is with her when I can't be. She's under my protection so every want and need of hers is taken care of. I appreciate your concern Gabriel but I have to ask you respect both of our boundaries." Gabriel looks unsurely at me as if he's thinking about it. I give him a reassuring smile and nod.

"I would like to check up on her at least once a month and you let me know if anything happens. I am also her registered guardian at the school, so please try and make sure that she maintains a good attendance. That is what her father sent her here to do." Gabriel lists off his conditions as Jaxon listens.