Chapter 1: Welcome To America

Freedom. Freedom at last. That's all I felt as I stepped off of the plane and into the hot August air of New York. After years of begging and negotiating, my overprotective father finally agreed to let me complete high school outside of Italy. I planned to live this year mafia free and I couldn't wait.  It was perfect. I was finally somewhere that no one knew my name, somewhere that I wouldn't need to watch over my shoulder 24/7, somewhere I could be whoever I wanted to be and most importantly somewhere far away from 5 older brothers.

It's not that I don't get on with my brothers, I do. It's just that they can be extremely overbearing and protective, and that's not really what a 17 year-old girl looking to have some fun needs in her life. So I'll love them from afar.

After going through all the necessary security precautions and grabbing my luggage, I managed to navigate my way to the front of the airport and to a man in a suit, around 30 years-old holding my name on a fancy piece of card. This was my father's doing. In contrast to my wanting of a normal this year,  he insisted that his precious principessa at the very least be escorted safely to her new home. I mean not that a taxi driver would take me to the woods never to be seen again, but try telling him that.

"Good afternoon Miss Collisimo, Welcome to America" The man in the suit greeted, reaching out to take my suitcases. I rolled my eyes at the use of my surname, I know it's a sign of respect, however I am still only a teenager, I don't need people calling me by my last name. Deciding to let it slide, I tried to greet him back without realising that I don't  even know his name.

"Good Afternoon...."

"Oh sorry, I apologise Miss Collisimo, I'm Gabriel Ricci, you're new driver" He responded as we walked outside and towards two large black SUV's. Typical, my father feels that expensive SUV's insert dominance on everyone else on the road. I on the other hand find them unnecessary as they draw too much attention, and attention is the last thing I want right now.

After shoving my cases into the boot of the front SUV, he opens the back door for me.

"My name is Alejandra, though you can call me Aleja, There's no need for the use of my surname" He just stares at me as I ignore his gesture and walk round him to sit in the passenger seat. There's no way I'm sitting awkwardly by myself in the back of one of these things again. I've had to endure that way too many times.

As soon as Gabriel slides into the drivers seat, we're off, speeding down the road with the other SUV right behind us. I'm going to kill my father for this, he knows how much I hate it.

After about 5 minutes of complete silence I decide to break it, "So Gabriel, you have an Italian surname but live in America, When did you move here?" I asked curiously.

"Well Miss coll-" I quickly shot him a look, " Sorry, Alejandra, Your father moved me here from Italy couple of weeks ago to get ready for your arrival and set up your new home" I looked at him sursprised, why would my father have him move here If all he was supposed to do was drive me to my new flat then leave?

"What do you mean, do you not live here? I thought you were just dropping me at my apartment then Leaving back to your everyday life?"

"Miss Alejandra, I have been instructed by the Don to be your driver and watch out for you for atleast the next year, he told me that you were aware of this arrangement" I am furious. I'm supposed to be starting a normal life here, one that doesn't involve drivers or big fancy Suv's falling me about wherever I go. My father and I had an agreement and this sure as hell was not it.

***

The rest of the drive consisted of complete and utter silence. I was so angry that I knew if I opened my mouth,  poor Gabriel would be on the receiving end of some colourful language and threats that he did not deserve. I was just waiting to be alone so that I could have a not so lovely conversation with Papa dearest.

I was in my new apartment, well penthouse now that looked exactly like the pictures. It's just outside the city, close by to my new school. One of the compromises was that I wouldn't stay in the actual city. It was 'safety reasons' as papa put it. My father would also absolutely not allow me to share an apartment with a stranger, no matter how hard I begged, he found it to be too dangerous because of our lifestyle. It would be much harder to keep my secret if I lived with someone else, and It wouldn't be fair to drag an innocent into our world if they ever discovered it. I couldn't really argue with that one. I can however argue about the whole driver/bodygaurd situation that I did not sign up for.

At that Moment Gabriel emerged from down the hall, after he insisted on putting my suitcases into my new room. He turned to me and began to speak, "Well Miss Alejandra I will leave you now to get settled in, Your father will send you my number and you can call me if you need anything, There's two guards posted outside the door and I will be back here for 10am tomorrow morning ready to take you wherever you wish to go, I hope you have a good evening"

He was almost at the door when I stopped him, "Gabriel wait! I don't need guards or a driver, I appreciate your help but this was not what my father and I discussed before I moved here, You may go back to your normal life in Italy, and do whatever duties you were assigned to before me." I prayed that he would listen to me but deep inside I knew better, He would only ever take orders from the Don. But hey it was worth a try.

"I'm sorry Alejandra but these are direct orders from the Don. Myself and the bodyguards will stay unless we are ordered otherwise, As I said, Have a good evening Miss Alejandra" Dammit, and with that he was gone. Great it didn't work.

On the bright side now that I was alone, It was time to give the Italian Mafia leader, I know as Papa, a call.

Hey, Thank you for reading! Hope your having a great day wherever you are :)