5. Rejection and a glass of water

Start from the beginning

What was wrong with me?

But the minute I opened my mouth to say God knows what to him, he swiftly turned around to face me and the expression on his face made my mouth go dry.

His eyes glowed with such a terrifying fury that I felt like I was being burnt by the flames of hell itself. He towered over my frame, with his fists clenched and face darkened by what I could only describe, as hatred!

My hands trembled spilling some of the water from the glass on the ground as my knees threatened to give in under me. I had never felt so much hatred in my entire life. It was rolling off of him in ginormous waves, ready to devastate anyone who crossed their path, which in this particular situation, was me.

"How dare you", he whispered in a deep husky voice filled with detest, " who the hell let you in here?"

I opened my mouth, but just like earlier no sound came out. I struggled to think straight but my brain felt like spaghetti.

"Did you not hear me girl? ANSWER ME!" he roared and I nearly fell backwards at the authority that radiated off his words.

My knees were just about to buckle when suddenly Mr. Penson stood in front of me, partially shielding me from the CEO's deadly glare.

"Please excuse me sir, it is not her fault", he said and I was awed at how he kept his voice so steady, "I brought her in here with me"

"John", the CEO said coldly, briefly removing his gaze from my face to look at Mr. Penson. "Bringing outsiders into my quarters is strictly forbidden, you of all people should know that"

"I understand sir, but I needed her to be here for a specific purpose", Mr. Penson spoke slowly, clearly.

"What purpose?" the CEO asked as he narrowed his eyes at Mr. Penson

"To confirm a certain suspicion of mine", Mr. Penson stated calmly, " and it was absolutely imperative that she be present sir. And well it turns out that my suspicion...was right"

What purpose? What suspicion? What was Mr. Penson talking about?

His words seemed well thought out, as though they held a deeper meaning that could only be understood by the one they were intended for. And judging by the sudden change in the CEO's expression, I think he got it.

"I knew it!" Master Cole exclaimed as he walked toward us. I had forgotten he was even in the room. But more importantly, what was it exactly that he knew?

"I wasn't the only one who noticed it. You did too John!" Master Cole gushed excitedly.

Noticed what?

"You're both overanalyzing something that isn't even there! I know what you're thinking, and for the last time, it isn't true" the CEO spoke through gritted teeth.

"Oh isn't it?" Master Cole asked with a raised eyebrow,"then explain all the uncharacteristic sudden spacing out, Mr 'she is not my-' dot dot dot"

She? As in me? Not likely. And wasn't what Master Cole just said part of the conversation between him and the CEO that I had accidentally overheard?

The look that the CEO gave Master Cole after that was so frightening that it could have killed me ten times over! Master Cole immediately bowed his head and my urge to erode away returned with a vengeance. My only solace was Mr. Penson who still managed to stand his ground.