Chapter 46: Lessons in Home

Raphael and Michelangelo have to hold Destiny down while Donatello fixes her wing. She thrashes at every poke and prod, tears appearing in the corners of her eyes.

"Damn it," she growls to herself, knuckles going white against Raphael's arm.

"Almost done, Desti-bear. You're doing great," Michelangelo assures her, petting her wolf ears and smoothing out her curls.

Sarina works on Destiny's arm, applying a pressure bandage to the wound. The cyborg wonders if Destiny realizes how lucky she is that the bullet didn't hit anything vital, but another whimpering scream from Destiny makes her abandon those questions for later. Destiny has more to focus on.

Donatello gives one more push to the wing and Destiny shrieks, her claws extending into Raphael's bicep. He lets out a yelp and lurches back, gripping his arm as his teeth grit, and she slumps back, panting, tears rolling down her cheeks. As Donatello starts to wrap her wing, April and Casey peek their heads into the lab.

"Is everything alright?" April asks. "Diaval's all freaked out."

"You know, considering the tortured screams," Casey adds.

"Just about finished with her wing," Donatello says as he tucks Destiny's bandaged appendage against her back. The humans nod and disappear again.

Destiny blinks rapidly and looks to Raphael, just able to see the puncture wounds in his skin. She gulps back a surge of nausea. "Sorry, Raph," she whispers.

"I'll recover." He winces and grips his arm a little tighter.

Sarina pins Destiny's bandage in place and moves to him, reaching out and taking his arm in her hands. She examines the claw marks for a second before her eyes flash and she reaches for her medical kit.

"Well," she mumbles to herself while gesturing for Raphael to sit down in one of the extra chairs.

He frowns. "What?"

"I am surprised by the depth of the punctures. I might have to do some stitching," she says with a nonchalant shrug.

Destiny's ears flatten against her curls and she curls her legs up to her chest, lips quivering as she squeezes her eyes shut. Raphael glances at her, his face softening, and he nudges her leg with his own.

"It's alright, Des. Don't go beating yourself up about it," he says as Sarina settles down and starts to stitch him up.

She winces as Donatello adjusts her wing. "Of all the things that could've gotten you stitches today, it was my claws," she mumbles. Michelangelo laughs and she can't help but crack a small smirk.

While they finish up, the lab doors slide open and Melanie comes in, her short hair pulled back with a bandana and a plate of cookies in her hand. She manages a smile as she joins the teens, Michelangelo immediately swiping a cookie from her.

"Everything okay? I made cookies," she says. There's a few nods and grunts and she holds the plate out to Raphael. "Raphael, want one?"

He eyes it for a second before taking one and biting into it. "Thanks," he says around a mouthful of crumbs. "You didn't have to."

"It's fine, I bake when I'm stressed," she says with a smile. Her dark eyes land on Destiny and her lips purse as she moves to her side. "Des, sweetie, when you said you had dangerous hobbies I never expected this," she says with a laugh in her tone.

She sighs. "Yeah, yeah, I'm accident prone."

"Destiny..." Melanie's tone is gentle but slightly scolding. It reminds the turtles of Splinter, in a way. "Remember, I don't want you beating yourself up about things that are out of your control. It's not healthy."