Chapter 31: Lessons in Pathfinding

"Seriously, Donnie? These things again?"

Donatello arches an eye-ridge at Raphael, a confident smirk on his lips. "Trust me, Raph, these are our best option. It'll save us time."

The five mutants stare at the bat-like flying contraptions set before them. Destiny is most intrigued by them, admiring the harness and the fans mounted at the peak of the wings.

"You guys used these before?" she asks.

"Yeah, Donnie made them to help us infiltrate TCRI a year or two ago during that Technodrome incident," Leonardo says. Destiny's eyes widen slightly in awe and he looks to Donatello. "We haven't used them since, but we have our reasons."

"Getting airborne is the hard part," Donatello says. "We used the Turtle Rocket last time."

"It. Was. Boss," Michelangelo says with a fist-pump. Raphael turns a little greener at the thought.

"There's only four pairs, so someone will have to pair up," Donatello says. "I can make a few modifications to the harness and adjust the wing strength, but it'll work. I'll just need some time."

"Okay, you do that and we'll double check the plan," Leonardo says. "As for pairing up, how about Destiny comes with me? Any arguments on that? No? Good."

Destiny arches an eyebrow. "Seriously?"

"It makes the most sense. You're lighter than us plus the harnesses were made to fit a more bulky frame," Donatello says, tapping his shell once.

Destiny glances at Leonardo, then shrugs. "Alright, fair enough."

"I'll get to work," Donatello says. As the others start for the door, he calls, "I'll let you know when it's ready!"

-----------

"Oh...my...word," Destiny gasps.

The cold air sends her curls into a flurry around her face, forcing her to spit some of the locks from her mouth. Whenever she does that, the Turtle Glider wobbles in mid-flight and she gets a swift reminder of how high off the ground they are. She can see most of New York City with ease and while part of her is ecstatic, the other feels unsteady.

Beneath her, Leonardo spares a brief glance over his shoulder to where she's been fastened to his back. "You okay up there?"

"Just trying not to die."

"You can just hold me tighter."

Despite the small "hmph" that he hears, he's more focused on the fact that he can feel her tightening her grip on him. Destiny adjusts her hold slightly as her head falls to just below his neck, allowing her a glimpse of his wide smirk.

"You're enjoying this, aren't you?" she accuses.

"Maybe a little."

"Coming up to TCRI!" Donatello calls from Leonardo's left flank before pulling slightly ahead, closely followed by Raphael and Michelangelo.

"Dudes, I love flying!" Michelangelo whoops, stopping to do a figure eight.

Raphael shoots a grin towards Leonardo and Destiny. "How's the extra weight, Leo?"

"One more comment about my weight and I will turn this formation around!" Destiny retorts, making Leonardo laugh.

They swoop close to the double-pronged peak of the TCRI building. They bank and circle the perimeter, Donatello searching the smooth edges for any vantage point. He gasps and perks up abruptly, earning the attention of his family swiftly.

"Open window on the starboard side!" he calls. After a brief look of confusion from his brothers, he sighs. "Right, the right side. Port is left, starboard is right, we went over this!"