***

I'm a nervous wreck, so I can't stop tapping my leg, nor stop fidgeting with my clothes. The day before, at the strip club before I left, we decided that Seren would pick me up. How we came to this conclusion, I have no idea. I would rather we not meet at my raggedy apartment since it's dingy and embarrassing. Having her see this place will be mortifying.

There's a knock on my front door. Even that manages to sound desirable with three slow taps. Shaking my sweaty hands out, I slide towards the door, dragging my feet to slow myself down. Part of that reason is not wanting to seem desperate, the other part is because I'm beyond nervous.

Unlocking and opening the door, the sight causes my heart to drop into my stomach. I can't help but blurt, "Gosh, you're gorgeous!"

Seren gifts me with a beautiful smile. Her golden eyes twinkle, seeming to glow from the dark eye makeup she's wearing. Different from the strip club attire, she appears sophisticated and, dare I say, graceful. She's graceful at the club too, but something about her black jumpsuit is making her seem refined. The lavender-colored suit jacket she wears covers her arms and I wonder how cold it is outside.

She's shorter than usual and I imagine it's because the heels she wears aren't as high as her club ones. Those are obvious skyscrapers. But all of that is not what surprises me the most. What does is the short pixie cut that's her hair. It's not red either. Seren's hair is the color of honey, further complimenting her eyes.

"And you're adorable. Are you ready to go?" She twirls a set of keys on her finger, her body leaning on the doorframe. "Grab a jacket, pretty boy. It's cold out."

There's nothing I can do but follow her orders. Rushing to my room, I grab a jacket and throw it on before gathering my things and meeting her back. Seren stands in my bare living room, taking in the blankness of it all. Her sculpted eyebrow is raised, though I can't trace any hints of malic or judgment in her gaze.

"Just move in?" she asks, facing me head on.

"Uh, a month ago, maybe?"

She only hums as she looks around once again. Then she motions for me to follow her as she makes her way out. Though I'm taller than her, I still have to scramble to catch up. My clumsy and nervous form is no match for her confident strides. It leaves me wondering how I'm going out with such a beautiful woman.

"Have you had a chance to eat at Golden Vines?" Her words are so simple, so casual. It's almost weird.

"Uh, no. I haven't had the chance to do a lot of things actually," I tell her, growing red at how sad my life is. "Is it good?"

A soft laugh leaves the woman before me as she clicks a button on her keys to unlock her car. A silver Honda sits before us. I want to rush over and open the door for her, but she beats me to the punch, instead opening mine.

"Thank you," I mumble, going forward and getting in.

Seren struts to her side and gets in with the elegance I'll never be able to master. After starting the car, she turns to me. "Yes, the place is delicious, and I guarantee you'll love it."

"Oh—" My ringing phone saves me from having to reply. Giving Seren my best apologetic and awkward smile, I pull the device from my pocket. Dustin's name flashes across the screen. "Hey, Dustin."

A laugh breaks through first. "What are you doing right now, Sutton? I'm bored out of my mind and could use some classic comedy from my little brother."

I scoff and shake my head. Seren gives me a questioning look as she turns a corner. "I'm not funny. But you're kind of interrupting my date..."

The other line is silent. I tsk at the dramatics of my older brother, knowing he's about to make a big deal. With never going on a date or even really having friends, this has to be a big moment for Dustin. It'll be big for my mom too when he spills the beans.

"As I live and breathe. Sutton Avery, you better not be playing games with me."

"I have to go, Dustin. We're kind of driving." I want to lie and say we're at the restaurant, but I'm an awful liar. All Dustin will hear is stuttering.

"Well, shit. Let me talk to her," he says, making me gasp and shake my head. He can't see me, but oh well.

Sparing a glance at Seren, she's biting her bottom lip. Her eyes go from the road to me every few seconds, and a small smile grows on her face. Propping an eyebrow up, she mouths, 'what?' to which I shake my head.

"No, Dustin, I'm hanging up now. Bye."

Before he can get another word in, I end the call. Sighing, I face the windshield, noticing we're on the freeway now. Cars zoom in and out of lanes, passing each other up, racing and trying to get ahead. Seren keeps things fast and steady. Her posture is relaxed and something about it is just so dominant. I can't help but admire how she looks.

"That was my brother," I finally say, blushing at the conversation I just hung up from. "He and my mom live in my hometown while I'm here."

Seren glances at me, a soft look in her eyes. "I figured it was someone close since you got so animated. Haven't known you long, but I do know you're a guy of shy glances and mumbles."

Of course, she noticed my lack of social skills. All the stuttering and unsureness could be spotted a mile away. Embarrassed, I turn to face my window. With pursed lips, I wait for my shame and doubt to leave, but it lingers heavy in my chest.

"Hey." A hand grabs my thigh, causing me to tense up. Sucking up the disbelief, I face it. "There's nothing wrong with you, and I'm sorry if I made it seem that way. I actually find your nature cute and charming, not something to be ashamed of."

I've heard the words a thousand times from my family. They've always been the ones to reassure me that I'm not weird, not a freak. To have someone else do it, a love interest, is far-fetched. If I wasn't here now, experiencing it, I'd think this is all a hoax. But it's not and I can't help but fall further under her spell.