Chapter Twelve

The city is bustling with people tonight

The city is bustling with people tonight. The lights are bright, streets are crowded, and the chilly air is unnoticeable. Honking and mumbling fills my ears as I stand on the sidewalk, waiting for a cab once again. As someone rolls past me with a bike, I think that must be such an acceptable solution to the constant wait for a cab. I could see if a bus runs to where I'm going, but I don't have time to get sidetracked again. Tonight is my night to see Ariel.

When one is hailed, I climb in and enjoy the ride. I take the time to calm my racing heart as we pull up to the place. Earlier, when I realized I didn't know the address, I googled it. Searching 'strip clubs near me' didn't cause Hidden Desires to pull up, so I had to search it by name, and that's when the address came up, and that was after much digging. Makes sense because the place is beyond exclusive.

Thanking and paying the driver, I climb out and make my way to the door. It opens after I knock and before the guard can ask for the password, I rattle it off. "Sugar cubes," I speak, giving him a nervous smile, hoping they didn't change it as a security measure.

Much to my relief, he pulls it further open and allows me in. Blowing out a breath, I fast walk until I get to the main area. Sensual music plays as the girls dance on the tabletops. The low, colored lights don't surprise me this time and neither do the half-naked women. I scan the room, but don't see the familiar red hair I'm looking for.

Sighing, I settle down in a seat where the main stage is. The countdown clock is going and I can only hope she'll be dancing tonight.

"Here alone?" someone asks from next to me. Out of curiosity, I turn my head and look at the guy. He raises an eyebrow, a half smile on his face.

Compared to my casual button down and somewhat nice jeans, he's in a suit with a loose tie around his neck. He must've just gotten off of work and made his way now. The shadow on his face makes him appear older than me, though that's not much to go off of since I don't look my age anyway. His dark brown hair is slicked back, though a strand is trying to break free.

"You don't talk?" he speaks again and I guess this means I'm taking too long to answer.

"Uh, yeah, yeah." I clear my throat, nodding my head. "It's just me."

The guy chuckles and the sound is deep and rugged, matching his appearance. The vibes I get from him are dangerous. He seems like he could break me with just a snap of his fingers. It's not because he looks very strong. No, it's because his cold blue eyes glow with intensity. A lot more intense than I'd like them to be while trained on me.

"And how did you hear about this place?" His eyes narrow as he takes in my flushed face and laid back appearance. "You don't look like a regular."

This time, I shake my head, confirming his words. "This is only my second time. Before, I was with... friends."

"Friends, huh?" He raised an eyebrow before finally taking his eyes off of me and turning to the stage. Perfect timing, because the lights flick off. "You must have powerful friends in a powerful place."