Tenet (2020)

It's very timey-wimey and the action is pretty.

It was kind of fun to see a "no filming" sign up at the cinema door. I don't know exactly how widely Tenet has released as of end of August, but I'm guessing some places don't have it yet, nor cinemas to show it in... sorry Melbourne! Anyway, it's been ages since I've seen a sign that indicates we've got a film somehow mystically ahead of other places.

So the gist of this movie is really, as is apparent from the trailer, about the past being haunted by the future with special reverso materials. I think like many a Nolan, this aims to leave you head-scratching at some point. I thought I was doing okay up until the second plane crash... after that point either the plot got too thick or the action got too pretty or something. After that mostly it was just follow along moment by moment.

Other than haziness, it's a pretty film and well made. It has enough action and suspense to keep one guessing, but it does start to feel long.... As most three hour films do. If you wanted to know all the nitty-gritty details it probably needs two watches (and to be wearing two watches at the same time).

Regardless, not bad Nolan. Not even a dead wife or girlfriend.

J* gives it 3 stars.