Rogue Waves (2020)

Rogue Waves (2020) - 73mins - BOFA

Don't expect a big wave film - this is more a meandering memoir.

I had to rush into this when I realised there was a filmmaker talk about to happen. So I only read the brief BOFA blurb that made it sound much more surf-oriented that it actually is.

It's predominantly one man's memoir of grief and mental health struggle set amongst the mindfulness of the Tasmanian wilderness. The footage of the gorgeous wild spaces as seen by kayak are serene. The narration covers a range of issues from death of a son, to depression and how the great outdoors can be therapeutic.

So whilst there is some surfing footage, including some old footage of international breaks, this is definitely not a surfing film. The "Rogue Waves" of the title are more metaphorical, the things that knock humans down emotionally from time to time.

I guess it's a special niche of a film, one that maybe opens up that mental health conversation with a new audience? It also dabbles in the ideas of tourism impacts in special places.

J* gives it 3 stars.

This film is available to stream for FREE via BOFA - Breath of Fresh Air Film Festival Tasmania. Viewing is open to all Australians via registration.