jstars ... out of 5.

Nothing makes you focus more than giving a movie a number of some kind. I've played around with a range of scoring systems over the years, and have settled on a numberfied version of the "little man" scoring system, slightly modified. I think their animation levels say it all.

In 2019 I challenged myself to only give whole star ratings, and will continue this in 2020.  No halfies!

A rough guide to the illustrated jstars/modified "little man" system.

1 star: so boring! I wanted to (or did) fall asleep, count the chairs, wander to the foyer for no real reason. The movie has failed or disappointed me so much.

2 stars: meh. So much meh. I can see they have made a film but there is next to nothing I enjoyed.

3 stars: this film is good - I might not quite have found it enjoyable but I was pretty much interested for most of the movie.  Maybe it's a great film for someone, but not quite a great film for me. Positivity in indifference.

4 stars: a great film! I was really interested and entertained for the whole time. Maybe a few bits that didn't work but I was having a good time. I think you should see it for sure!

5 stars: so excellent. I forgot I was in the cinema, didn't care I was the only one laughing, feared for characters lives, physically twitched or jumped in scary bits and made oooohing or gasping noises I couldn't control. If I was going to change something in this film I know I would be nitpicking because it's pretty much done a perfect job. You're mad if you don't see this.

The joy of the "little man" rating system is it gives a visual-physical vibe to the review.