Chapter 12:SPEG mission (part 1)

En başından başla

I walk in on Ms Hill arguing with someone on Bluetooth."No.She barely has any combat training.We've only done disarming." 

"Sir I highly advise against it." 

"Alright sir she'll be there in 5."Ms Hill  said and disappears through the corridors.

"Here. Put these on."

She handed me a black bulletproof vest, a hoody and a helmet. We boarded the quinjet and reached our destination within 10 minutes.

"Kiara.Meet James Foster. He will be completing a simple file retrieval mission.You will be shadowing,taking notes and assisting if absolutely necessary."

I stood there in my new gym leggings that my parents and I trekked through the shopping centre for perseverant hours to find,my favourite trainers that I've had since I was 10 and will not part with ,a dull dark grey hoody that almost reached my knees,an adult-sized bulletproof vest and very cool black helmet.

"You put me with a twelve-year-old?"were the first words James Foster uttered.

Thanks guys really feeling the love here, I thought. "I'm thirteen." I corrected, rolling up my loitering sleeves.

The guy I was shadowing had a much better-looking and fitting outfit than me. The material was alien but looked like Black Widow's. She's my second favourite avenger.Iron Man is my first.

"Kiara here got her bike license with just 3 tries in the sim and has a very good aim."

"Is she combat trained?"

"She can disarm opponents."Maria defended her trainee vigourously.Was it because she felt bad for earlier?"Besides you have no say in this matter. You start in 10 minutes. I'll leave you to get acquainted."

"You can call me James and do what I say and don't get killed ,okay?"

I nod nervously.

He briefs me on the mission and refuses to answer my questions.Great. Another person who hates me before they've even met me. It's going to be a long day,I thought.

I sit behind him on the motorbike,clutching the sides of his backpack, excited for what's to come.

I'm cringing looking back at how enthusiastic I was back then. Then again I was on a lot of sugar and adrenaline and I was a fresh little year 8.

I crouched inside garden waste deposit outside a giant barn as he radios somebody asking if he has to let me come inside or if I can wait outside.

"She should be placed wherever is optimal to observe.We suggest she enters through the top window with ladder on the eastern side."

"Alright then."he says with fake spirit."You need to work at the same time as me so I can cover for you. Once you're up there,don't say anything and stay out of my way. Understood?"his tone changed to seriousness ,with a not-so subtle dash of mockery.

"Yes James."

The sound of helicopter blades slowing sounds."That's our cue."

He pokes his head out for a few moments and then announces."It's clear."

I hear him double as my earpiece has been activated.

I nod and scramble out. I'm 5ft 2 but the box is 5ft too. I end up awkwardly on the floor with a mouthful of off grass.

"Pweh!"I spit it out.

Eww. Who knows what was on it?

I run to the corner of the building where the ladder is positioned and begin a silent and steady ascent.

This isn't so bad, I thought. My foot slips on the next rung and I commanded my brain to get out of my head to prevent anymore thoughts like that, which could result  upon the fatality of me falling to my death. But my brain refused. Typical.

I peeked my head up to survey the new surroundings, whilst precariously balancing on the top rung. Unfortunately, the ladder doesn't quite reach the top window. In fact, it's almost 6 feet from it.

Mercenaries paced around on the animal poop and hay littered ground; and a blonde man in an expensive looking suit is seated on a haystack idly checking the time. Up here there was no one. The green timber path edged the interior of the barn with orderly piles of hay every few feet, next to every window which were kept open for ventilation.

There were no windows downstairs.

It seems to have been cleared out in a hurry.

James enters the building.That's my sign. "Alex McLain. I'm here for the file."James' voice sounds through the earpiece. I blocked out their conversation so that I can concentrate on my next move.

I hang from my fingertips and settle my feet securely on the top rung once more.

3...2...1... I push off the ladder which sways to the left and begins it's fall. I use my right foot to clamber on to the window sill and hit my head at the bottom of the window as I roll onto the floor.

Quickly recovering, I make for the nearest pile of hay as the ladder thuds outside.

"I thought I told you to come alone?"The blonde man's voice echoed through the barnhouse. Perhaps I just felt it that way. He must've made a command gesture because some of his mercenaries left outside.

"I did come alone.And I didn't see anyone following me."James replied calmly.

The stomps of the mercenaries rushing back inside sounded.

"Alright then.Let's have our transaction." I glance over my shoulder and two near silent people approaching. These aren't mercenaries. They're assassins.

I was royally screwed.

((Hey readers! I'm just doing this in parts so you have something to read for now :) 

Also I swear to get back to the other agents of shield soon. ))