Chapter 24: Annabeth gets Outmaneuvered

Почніть із самого початку

"Plan B!" a male voice shouted from the trees. Eleven figures jumped up from the underbrush, half held shields and a mixture of spears or swords, while the rest had bows. One broke off and ran back towards enemy territory. With a war cry, the campers charged. The woods around the clearing erupted in a similar fashion, showing that Ares and Apollo had come to capture the flag in full force.

"Oh, Styx!" Jacob panicked. "Fall back to the bunker!" The two demigods retreated as the Apollo campers prepared to fire, but before some of them could, a hail of silver arrows flew down from the ridge and struck them in the hands. It's a good thing they had been blunted. Fire was quickly returned from the campers, arrows flying both towards the two demigods and the Hunters on the ridge.

"Come on!" Clara cried from the entrance.

"We'll cover you!" Tracey added as she launched an arrow towards a particularly brutish Ares boy that had been advancing towards Hannah. Luckily, most of the campers were suppressed by the constant fire from the Hunters, but a few brave souls were still trying to keep up the attack.

The Ares cabin was forming a shield wall with Apollo behind them by the time Hannah and Jacob reached the door. "Cover your ears," Jacob warned as he pulled an arrow from his quiver. Clara and Tracey were confused, but Hannah smirked. He loved these things. Drawing back and firing Jacob sent it streaking towards the shield wall where it impaled itself in a shield. The five Hunters in the bunker looked at him confused as he counted down from three on his fingers and then covered his own ears. Just as he did, a large booming sound erupted from the arrow, causing all the campers to clutch their ears in pain. Most even fell to the ground in a daze. "Sonic arrows," Jacob explained, the sunlight in his eye socket glinting. "For use on special occasions."

As he was explaining another war cry erupted from the woods and the defenders whirled around, ready for a second wave. However, to their surprise out of the woods came Percy with his group. They had arrived to reinforce, but their cries quickly died out as they noticed the dazed campers and Jacob waving from the bunker entrance. Acting quickly, Percy had his group round up and disarm the campers. All-in-all, the Hunt had captured nearly 40 campers from a mixture of the Ares, Apollo, and miscellaneous minor god's cabins. They even got a few of the Athena kids who were leading the attack.

"Thanks for the assist Peri," Jacob said as they were escorting the captured campers to a cage they had set up in the bunker for just this purpose. "Thought we were gonna get overrun for a while there, it was a good plan."

Percy smirked from behind the bandanna he had bought all those months ago in Utah. "Couldn't let you have all the fun. Besides, these fools have no concept of the idea of "stealth".

The Athena kid standing next to Percy glared at him. "We'll get that flag, and those traitors, you'll see," he sneered.

"She has to catch us first," Jacob laughed at the Athena spawn. "That's not the last we'll see of them," he said once Percy and his group had finished putting the campers in their holding cell and headed back outside Bunker 9.

"No, it's not," Percy agreed. "We need to get the flag before they can launch another attack." He then turned to his two friends. "You guys need to move, Annabeth will know you're here after this."

"That was. . . the plan, actually," Hannah said hesitantly.

"We figured this would draw her out," Jacob added.

"And we need to move," Hannah said as she grabbed Jacob's hand and faded into the shadow she was in.

They reappeared in the trees close to Zeus' Fist, and it looked like the campers had set up quite the defense. "Get down," a voice hissed as it tugged Hannah to the ground.