Chapter 21

From all sides of me, women chatter back and forth about anything and everything. Excitement is thick in the air as we await this year's pageant girls. Ideas for color schemes, music, and food fly between us. Anastasia was lucky enough to find six other previous winners to join the mentor team. However, this also means plenty of different opinions of what the pageant experience should look like. Jackson is the only male in the room who is showing interest in the planning of the event. And surprisingly, he has a lot of good ideas that no one else would have thought of. Mrs. Higgs, the woman in charge of the Miss Belle pageant for the last twenty years, walks in the room with a trail of girls behind her. 

     "Ladies and gentlemen, may I present you this year's pageant girls." Flashing dramatic jazz hands, the white haired woman introduces the teen girls one by one. Most of the girls are related to pageant alumni's in one way or another. Their mother, sister, grandmother, or aunt was once Miss Belle and now it's simply tradition to follow in their footsteps. They surely all dress the part with their flashy jewelry and newly bought dresses. By the way they're dressed, you would think this is the pageant. Except one. Willow Grant, Elena Grant's daughter. If anyone is an outsider, it's her. 

     Elena Grant is notoriously known as being one of the few single mother's in town, teen pregnancy, a waitress, and doesn't bother showing up to church on Sunday. These choices alone make the Grant family name a shameful one by the standards of residents of Maywood. Because of Elena's status, her daughter is treated negatively. It also doesn't help that Willow isn't shaped like Barbie. Everyone's surprised that she even bothered to participate, including me. Miss Belle participants are usually popular girls from well respected families. If Willow was to win such a prestigious award, it would be a slap to all the people who treated her terribly. And no matter what they'd say, she'd always have the title of Miss Belle in her back pocket. Who knows? Maybe it will save the Grant family name. 

     "Now that we have everyone all here." Mrs. Higgs lowers herself in the chair at the head of the table. "Mentors will choose the lady they would like to take under their wing. The choice will be hard, I know! So many wonderful young promising ladies, but you must choose." Grinning from ear to ear, she claps her hands. "The most recent winner in the room gets first choice and we'll go from there. Savannah, you start." The young brunette stands, looking over the row of girls with a pair of critical blue eyes. Why did this feel like a game of dodge ball? As expected, she chooses one of the most beautiful and well liked girl with the wealthiest family, Maybelle Dawson. By the disappointed expressions of the other ladies, she was obviously the first choice for many. Lucky for me, my first option is still available. "Sawyer, honey, it's your turn." Mrs. Higgs announces. Without a moment of hesitation, Willow's name rolls off my tongue. The room falls silent instantly. Shocked murmurs suddenly fill the room until one of the girl's speaks up. 

     "Are you joking?" A blonde asks abruptly, surprising herself with her loose tongue. 

     "Of course not." I retort before waving Willow over. "Come over here." Unlike the other girls, it's obvious that Willow's not wearing a new designer dress from one of the local boutiques. The shade of blue is a couple of seasons ago, two sizes too big, and there's a big hole in the fabric under her arm that I notice she's trying to hide. There's a moment of hesitation before the mentors continue with their pick of the litter. I assume they think ill change my mind, but i've never felt more confident about a choice than I do now. 

     After everyone's choices are made, we all make ourselves comfortable around the wooden table to discuss the next part of the meeting, fundraisers. This event is important to bring the entire town together so fundraisers are a must. It also doesn't hurt that the money we raise pays the ballroom for the night, decorations, and food. Thankfully this tea room has been paid for for the next two hours because this might take awhile. 

     "We should do the annual picnic basket plus a date with one of the lovely male escorts." 

     "That's so old! How about something a bit more fun for the girls? Like a kissing booth!" All of the girls squeal, obviously happy with the idea. However, this only reminds me of the last kiss I had. I'm about to shoot down the idea when Mrs. Higgs does it for me. 

     "Girls, we are not selling ourselves for money." She says, disgust thick in her tone. "Anymore ideas?" 

     "How about we involve football somehow?" One of the guy's chime in, invoking annoyed grunts across the table. 

     "No way!" Savannah shouts. 

     "Not happening." Tennessee rolls her eyes. 

     "What about selling some bake goods?" I offer. Mrs. Higgs looks like she's about to agree, but another round of groans from the girls follow. 

     "Boring!"

     "Not all of us know how to bake, Sawyer."

     "Oooooh! What about a car wash?"

     Yeah, this is going to take awhile. 

This chapter is a bit shorter, but it's more like a fill in chapter.

What should they do for the fundraiser? 

What idea did you like most?

Like and comment!

All feedback is welcomed!