Part Thirteen - Frontier

- donivan 'trix' shire -

"Damnit," Arrow mutters, punching the steering wheel. "That's all she got."

"How far are we from the closest town?" Val asks, and Fayette opens the map.

"Uh," she mutters, tracing the road we had been driving on. "I think, maybe a few miles?"

"Oh great," Delilah mutters. "You do realize it's cold?"

"Yes, but our car is dead," Selina argues. "We don't have much of a choice."

"She's right," I sigh. "Let's get moving. It won't take long for them to find our car."

Someone had shot at our car on the way out of the city, and we had left a thin trail of oil on the road for the last hour or so. There really wasn't any time to fix it, because the bad guys could've been after us the whole time. Thankfully, we had made it close to a town. Now, we would have to walk the last leg.

Hopping out of the car, I grab one of the supply sacks and sling it around my shoulders. The group was notably more on edge than before, and it was reasonable. God, Meredith... I think that made everyone realize we weren't playing around here. This was real, and we were being hunted. Only together could we actually evade these guys.

The night was a chilly one, set at a cool 50°F or so, with a bright full moon shining down on the pines that surrounded us. The wind was pretty constant, but still slow. One thing different up here, though, was the night sky. We could see the actual Milky Way out there, and it looked like the night sky was alive with cosmic shenanigans.

"Cmon," Selina mutters, snapping me out of my trance. "We gotta go."

"Yeah, sorry," I say, adjusting my pack and following the others. We wanted to stay close to the road, but some cover under the trees could make us less obvious to anyone passing by. "You okay after all that?" She asks.

     "Pretty scared," I mutter, walking over twigs. "Not going to lie. What about you?"

     "Terrified," she says, ducking under a tree branch. "We've lose one now, people are hunting us, and a whole city is destroyed."

     "We are fucked, aren't we?" I laugh nervously, trying to hold back a scream. This was unreal. No one should be put into this situation, much less a bunch of teens who just gained superpowers.

     "If we get out of Canada, maybe not," she says. "Try looking on the bright side."

     "Kinda hard," I mutter, as we walk back towards the road. The trees were too dense and too full of mosquitoes to use that over the shoulder. Maybe if someone drove by we would, but not now. "I don't know if you realized, but we're being hunted."

"No, I think I figured that out," she sighs. "I'm just saying we can't just move around or we're very dead."

"Okay then," I say, trying to take her advice as it was a fair point. "How do we not?"

"I don't know," she begins, looking around like she heard something. "Tell a story or something."

"Uhh, ok.." I mutter, trying to pull back some memory to talk about. "Any request?"