Part Two: Cured

[^ Something's Not Right Here by OneRepublic ]

A bit shorter than last, but things are heating up. School is almost over, so I'll have more time, hopefully.

- cheyenne 'chee' morrison -

"So, h-how's your day been?" Delilah asks, as we sit in the courtyard. They were going to be running a test later on, and even though we were used to it, it still scared us.

"Decent," I reply quickly. "Yours?"

"Pretty good," she responds. "Not looking forward to later, though."

"Me neither," I state. The courtyard was a hexagonal structure in the center of the compound, and sunlight shined right in. The skylight was open, and so wind was blowing right in. It wasn't too strong, but it was just enough to make sitting in the sun comfortable.

The compound was quite large, with many different sections. The courtyard, running trails, a pool, gym, cafeteria, dorms, study halls, and much more. It made looking on the bright side lots easier.

We sit there silent for a bit, before one of the staff members enters the courtyard. I see some of the kids walking towards the lab side of the building, and so I already know what was going on.

     "Chee, Delilah?" The woman asks. I think her name was Ashley or something like that. "Could you two follow me?"

     "Yes, ma'am," I sigh, standing up and walking over. Delilah trails right behind me, and we follow the others toward the laboratory.

No one liked the test, but it was part of living here. They assured us we were getting the best education and would have the best financial support in the world after our time here was over. I had my doubts, but more than all I just wanted to see my family again. They had refused, or made an excuse every time. I knew I should probably hold a bigger grudge, but I'm just not that person.

I enter the lobby room, with the other kids. There were 50 kids or so here, but I only knew about 20. 10 really well. We sit down in the couches in the room, looking at the head doctor Kalinin as he walks out. "Hey, guys."

"Today, we're going to make history. Our teams have come up with a cure for cancer."

The group of kids around me collectively gasp, some louder than others. That was pretty serious, if they really did manage it. Kalinin bows, smiling in glee. "True story," he follows.

"So, you'll be the first subjects. Do not worry, all of you will be fine, it's painless, and this particular version only lasts a day. So, during the day, we'll run some tests every few hours, and by tomorrow at this time, we'll know if it was a success or not. Sound good?"

Not as bad as I thought. I did respect that - they tried to make it as painless and as un intrusive as possible. It didn't excuse it, but it kept the compound from rioting. Kalinin, along with Angel and a few others open the testing rooms, and a chunk of us go in first.

     Angel ends up as the doctor administering my dose. "How you feeling today?" He asks, getting a disinfecting wipe and raising my left sleeve to wipe a spot on my shoulder. I swear this place only made me hate needles more.