i got you

pairing; spencer reid x reader

warnings; mentions of a child death (case), hurt/comfort, angst if you squint

The case was a bad one. Two little girls had been kidnapped and due to the fact that it was a time sensitive case, everyone was on edge. Luckily, it was quite easy to figure out who the UnSub was and where he was hiding them, but one of the girls died before we could save her. The one that did survive got home safely and back to her family, however it didn't stop the feeling of guilt nagging at everyone's stomachs.

There was nothing but silence on the jet, everyone was in their little world — either thinking about the case or trying to get some sleep. I was thinking about the case. It hit me a lot harder than any other, probably to do with the fact that my sister wasn't that far in age from the little girls. My mind was full of different 'what ifs?'

What if we had gotten there faster? What if I had payed more attention to the evidence? What if I was smarter and a better profiler?

My boyfriend, Spencer had apparently picked up on the storm that was going on in my mind since he grabbed my hand and squeezed it, a small smile gracing his lips. I sent a similar smile his way and turned back to look out the window, hoping it wasn't that much longer until we landed.

— — — —

Once we landed, we all bid our goodbyes and headed our separate ways. I could tell that no one was really okay after the case, some of them hid it well but the sadness in their eyes told a different story. I knew for a fact that mine most likely mirrored their own.

Spencer came back to my apartment with me, even though I kept telling him it was okay for him to go back to his (even if I wanted him to come back to mine secretly).

In the car, he never let go of my hand once — he didn't even let go when my hand was getting sweaty — and smiled at me every so often. We weren't actually talking to eachother, but we didn't need to. The action alone said a thousand words.

As I stood in front of my door, side by side with Spencer, I couldn't help but think about the little girl who will never be able to go back home. She'd never be able to see her family again and her family won't ever be able to her again. The thought made my breath hitch and tears gather in my eyes.

Spence heard and immediately turned to face me, taking my face in his hands. Which, unfortunately, made the tears that were once gathered in my eyes, fall freely down my face.

"This isn't your fault." He stated, his eyes looking between my own. I shook my head in my hands whilst he wiped the tears off my cheeks.

"I-I could've done something." I bit my trembling lip. "If I was a better profiler or quicker to figure out where he was keeping them then she'd be alive. She'd be able to go home to her parents."

Spencer moved his hands from my cheek and pulled me into a hug, as if to tell me it was okay to cry into his shoulder. So that's what I did. I cried — sobbed more like — into his shoulder.

"You managed to save that other little girl." He whispered into my ear. "She can go home to her family, thanks to you."

I carried on crying, still tightly wrapped into his embrace. There was no doubt snot and wet patches of tears on his shirt but he apparently didn't care.

"I've got you." He murmered, kissing the side of my head. "I've got you."

Thankfully, my tear ducts had run dry so all that was left was a sore throat and puffy cheeks. I pulled away from the hug, but still didn't let go from the man I fell in love with.

"It wasn't your fault, y/n."

"I know." I nodded, I smiled at him — a proper smile this time. "I love you."

"I love you." He repeated, placing a soft kiss onto my lips. "Just remember, I've got you."