birthday bewilderment

pairing: spencer reid x reader

warnings: one kiss, swearing, most likely terrible, about it.

requested on tumblr :)

Spencer had been acting weird all week, bordering on sketchy

Spencer had been acting weird all week, bordering on sketchy. He had been extremely skittish -- only around you, funnily enough -- and trying to avoid you as much as possible. Which was abnormal for Spencer.

You had tried cornering at least once a day to try and figure out what was going on, but the sneaky bastard managed to wiggle his way out of any situation. How? You never knew, but it was getting old real fast.

----

"Hey, Pen?" You walked into Garcia's office and planted yourself on one of her desks, making her yell at you for sitting on her precious equipment. "Sorry."

"No worries my lovely little cherub." She smiled widely, swivelling in her swirly chair, motioning to one of the other ones in her lair. "Sit, sit!"

You grabbed it and made sure to position it right in front of her, "Can I ask you a question?"

Penelope's brows furrowed slightly, confusion evident on her features. "Of course! What's going on?"

You quickly shook your head, laughing slightly. "It's nothing bad, it's just... Reid's been acting kind of funny lately, and I was wondering if--" Before you could finish your sentence, Garcia spun her chair around to face her computers quicker than you could say the word 'spin'.

"Nope, no." You watched her shake her head as she muttered to herself.

"Penelope??" You tried to gain her attention, but ultimately failed.

"Oh would you look at that! I have a thing down at...thing." she switched all her monitors off before standing up abruptly "It was good talking to you [Y/N]. Okay, bye now." she walked out of the bat cave whilst shaking her head once again and muttering things you couldn't decipher, leaving you once again puzzled.

Not needing to be in the room anymore, you decided to leave and track down someone else who might know what was going on. And you had just the right person in mind; JJ. She of all people would know what would be going on with Spencer. She is the closest person to him, other than you after all.

As you walked back into the bullpen, you spotted Derek who was in an intense conversation with Garcia. Thing down at thing my ass. You waved at them as you walked past but didn't bother in engaging with them as they were obviously talking about something private.

Finally, you had made it to where JJ was which was in the round table room, going over some files like she normally would. As you walked in, you chose to go at it with a different angle. As the first way didn't work, maybe the second way would work.

"Hey Jayje." You smiled politely at the blonde as you sat down on the seat next to her.

She smiled brightly back at you, shutting the case file she was reading. "Hey, I was just thinking of you."

"Were you?" You asked her, cocking your head to the side slightly.

"Yeah, I just remembered that it's your birthday tomorrow, isn't it?"

You groaned loudly and covered your face with your hands, "Ugh, don't remind me." You never did find birthdays worth celebrating. Wow, you are one year older. What a joy. Sarcasm intended.

"Oh come on, [Y/N]. It won't be that bad." You sent her a pointed look, meaning that chances are you will be sent on a case like all the other birthdays had been. "Besides, you have all of us."

"I had you guys last year. And the year before that, and the year before that. And then--"

"Okay," she chuckled lightly, "I get it. Besides, I think that this birthday will make you want to celebrate them more often."

Now that caught your attention. "What do you mean?"

"I can't tell you that, I'm afraid." JJ said whilst smirking, beginning to gather up her stuff off the table.

"Where are you going?" You asked.

"I'm off to have lunch with Will and the boys." She clarified, shouldering her black bag. "See you later, [Y/N]." Before you had a chance to reply, she disappeared out the door with you once again being left alone with zero answers. You huffed and leaned back in your seat, arms folded over your front.

----

Before long, it was the end of the day and everyone was finally able to leave. Much to your dismay, you left the BAU with just as little information as you had at the beginning of the day. It was pissing you off tremendously.

Gathering up your stuff, you looked around briefly. It was oddly empty. And quiet. Which was extremely unusual for the BAU. You frowned for what felt like the ninetieth day that day and walked around a bit, trying to see if there was anyone in. Thankfully, there were some agents still on shift but not many, not as many as there should be. You were confused but decided not to give it any thought, opting to head home for some much needed rest.

Once you arrived at your apartment, you walked your way up the long stairs which just further added to your annoyed state, wishing you took the elevator. You managed to reach your door without stopping for a break, which happened much more often than you had liked to admit. You put your key in the lock and opened it, throwing it on the nearby counter. Just as you were about to turn around, the lights turned on. "Surprise!!" A cacophony of noise erupted from all around your apartment, making you panic. So panicked in fact, you accidentally punched the person to your left in the nose.

"Shit!" Your eyes widened in realisation, it was Derek you had punched.

"Oh my god! Jesus."

"Happy Birthday." He said, wincing slightly when he spoke. Turning around to face everyone else in the room, which turned out to be Spencer, Penelope, Hotch, Aaron, Emily, Will and the boys, you started laughing.

"My birthday's tomorrow guys." You pointed out, looking at Spencer mainly as he must have been the one to set the whole thing up.

"I know," he smirked, walking towards you. "I do have an eidetic memory."

"So then why did you do this," you motioned to everything around you "today?"

Spencer carried on walking until he was directly in front of you, a hand lightly caressing the side of your face. He smiled and tucked a piece of hair behind your ear, "Because I know how much I annoyed you this week by ignoring you and you wouldn't have lasted another day. And I know how much you hate your birthday and today isn't technically your birthday, so..."

You stared at him, a smile playing at your lips and a blush making its way onto your face. "That's really sweet."

"Sorry, what was that? Couldn't hear you." Spencer teased, you hitting him playfully in return.

"Thank you." You said softly. "I love you."

He tilted your chin up towards him, staring down at you, "I love you."

You felt Spencer's lips on yours before you even knew he was kissing you. It was a soft yet passionate kiss, which made the moment even more amazing. You truly did love the man, no matter what.

"Guys," JJ spoke, causing the two of you to break apart. "I think [Y/N] broke Derek's nose."