unfriendly (part one)

pairing; spencer reid x reader

warnings; angst, hating on ashley seaver, sadness

set in season 6

You weren't a horrible person in the slightest, not at all

You weren't a horrible person in the slightest, not at all. You would always make sure that someone would feel safe and welcomed no matter what. So the whole team was quite confused as to why you were being quite bitchy and rude lately.

But you knew why. It was the new member of the team, Ashley Seaver. If it wasn't for the fact that she seemed to take quite a liking to your bestfriend (who you are also in love with) Spencer, then you would've welcomed her with opened arms. But since that didn't happen, you were acting like a complete bitch.

For example, when Ashley smiled at you, you would either roll your eyes or glare at her. When she asked you to get something for her, like a file, you would scoff. Everyone on the team was getting sick of your bullshit, you couldn't blame them though. You were getting sick of it yourself but you didn't know how to stop being like it.

But again, you knew why. She was everything you weren't — or everything you believed you weren't. She was blonde, blue-eyed, clever, smart and obviously caught the attention of none other, Dr. Spencer Reid.

Now, you and Spencer had been bestfriends for about four years, but that was as far as it went. You were in love with the boy genius, so you wanted more. Him, on the other hand, had made it clear that you were strictly best friends and nothing more.

And that hurt. Therefore, you buried your feelings deep inside your self and hoped that they would go away (they didnt). However, when Ashley joined the BAU, those feelings shone through extremely quickly. You were jealous. And jealousy was an ugly colour on you.

Spencer and Ashley were currently conversing with one another. You didn't really care that they were talking to eachother, it's when they started laughing and she put her hand on his arm was when you started to care and get annoyed.

Thankfully, you were currently by yourself and no one was hovering over your desk like they normally would do you didn't have to hide your vexation. Well, that was until they did something you never thought would've happened.

They hugged. They fucking hugged. You weren't even aware of the fact that your pen had snapped in your grasp until the plastic started digging into your palm, making you hiss slightly. And your misfortune didn't finish there, oh no. Spencer caught your eye and frowned at you slightly and you swear you could see he was glaring at you slightly.

You widened your eyes slightly, and bit your lip anxiously, turning back to focus on the work in front of you. Until you felt a presence — or more specifically, two — beside you, hovering. Your cursed inwardly, and swivelled towards them. And just as you had thought, it was the people of the hour, Ashley and Spencer! Fucking typical.

"Hi." You said, more to Reid than Ashley. Once again, he narrowed his eyes at you slightly and sent a pointed look towards Seaver, as if to say; Say hello. What, is he your dad now?

"Hello." You forced a smile and had to physically refrain from rolling your eyes at her. "What are you two doing here and being all smiley about?"

"Well," Ashley began, smiling at Spencer. "Spence and I were thinking of going to the theatre." Spence. Now that hurt. It just used to be you and JJ to call him Spence (oh how you missed JJ) but now, she was calling him Spence? Who next, Rossi?

"Are you now?" You faked a smile again, clenching your jaw slightly — which Reid took note of.

"Mhm." He hummed, nodding. "Would you like to—"

"No." You stated, cutting him off. You knew what he was about to say and there was no way you were about to fucking third wheel.

"Are you okay?" Ashley asked you, her brows creased.

"Oh, I'm amazing. But don't let me keep you waiting!" You gritted your teeth, "I hope you and Spence have a great time."

You turned around and rolled your eyes, beginning to make your way to the bat cave — aka, Garcia's office.

"Sorry about that," Spencer apologised, frowning. "I don't know why she's acting like—"

"Like a bitch?" Ashley finished. Reid flinched slightly, but he sort of agreed. You were being a bitch and he was getting sick and tired of it.

"Yeah." He sighed, "Can you wait here for a minute? I'm going to go talk to her."

"Sure." She nodded and sat down on one of the empty desk chairs (which was yours ironically).

You were just about to walk into Penelope's office when someone grabbed your wrist, spinning you around. "Uh, what the fuck?"

When you had regained your composure and figured out who had just turned you around, you rolled your eyes. "Oh, it's you."

"Yeah it's me. I need to talk to you."

"Are you sure the wife is going to be okay with that?" You asked, cocking your head to the side.

"Don't." He stated.

"Don't, what? You might have to elaborate, Spence." You smiled sweetly up at him

"Are you jealous? Is that what this is about?" He narrowed his eyes at you and started to walk closer to you.

"What?"

"Are you jealous that Ashley and I are going out later?" He asked, still walking towards you. You backed up and ended up hitting the wall behind you.

"Of course not." You scoffed, hoping he believed you.

"Yes you are. You're jealous that I can actually see a relationship between me and her." He spat, your heart dropping. Okay dude, that fucking hurt.

You towards above you whilst your eyes started to fill with unshed tears, "That's unfair, Reid and you know it."

"Is it?" He cocked his head to the side, copying what you did earlier. "So being a bitch towards Ashley ever since she got here isn't unfair?"

You started to sputter out a sentence, but was ultimately at a loss for words because you knew he was right.

"You know," He started, backing up in the process. "I thought that maybe we could make a relationship work because we were bestfriends before, so that would make sense, right?"

You nodded, fiddling with your hands to try and keep your tears behind your waterline.

"Well not anymore." You never thought one sentence, one small sentence could tear all the breath out of your lungs and your heart out at once. But here you are, the tears now free falling down your face. "Because I don't want to be in a relationship with someone who's just plain fucking rude."

With that, he turned and walked back towards the bullpen — back towards Ashley. He had left you there, heart broken and sobs wracking through your body.

Not only had you ruined any chance of being Spencer Reid's girlfriend, you were pretty sure that you had just fucked your entire friend ship in the process.