The day I promised transparency

Lauren wasn't sure why Ashley had been so insistent on meeting with her but she was sure it had to do with their daughter. Ashley had probably found herself another boyfriend and she was eager for their daughter to meet them but she knew she had to run it past Lauren first.

Upon dropping Natalia off at the apartment, Ashley played ever the playful mother as she picked her daughter up and spun her around in the air. Natalia's giggle rang through the apartment and Lauren couldn't fight the smile that stretched across her lips as she watched the interaction.

She'd always been in awe of how easily her ex-wife could bring out the life in their daughter. Like the little girl related joy to her older mother.

Lauren could hear the TV playing and when she glanced behind Ashley she could see Dom playing video games, his usual floppy hair obscuring most of his vision but he seemed unfazed. And when Natalia saw the man, she rushed at him with the same fervour she always reserved for her overzealous mother. Dom was quick to set his controller down and welcome the little girl with open arms.

Bolt followed behind his favourite person, yapping all the way. Lauren was still grateful to Ashley for agreeing to care for the little dog while she went away with Camila. Ashley had even taken notes on how Camila went about her small training sessions with Bolt, eager to keep up with the puppy's schedule.

Noticing Natalia would be distracted with her uncle and puppy, Ashley led Lauren into the hallway in front of her front door, shutting the door behind them and lingering with her back turned to Lauren for a moment, like she was building up to say what she wanted to say but couldn't quite muster up the strength.

"Hey, if you met someone and want to introduce Lia to them, can you please introduce them to me first? Like I'm sure they're great but-"

Lauren was cut off by a set of lips descending on her own and felt shock travel throughout her entire being before registering what was happening. And as soon as she did, she was quick to step back from Ashley and out of her hold, putting her hand up while her other had her fingers touching her lips in surprise. Lauren's eyes were set on the floor for a moment, processing what had just happened and feeling her heart break in her chest because Ashley had decided to crush her for the second time in their life.

"I remember Hayley standing on a stage telling you she loved you knowing damn well that your heart belonged to the same person it belongs to now," Ashley spoke softly, hesitantly, wishing Lauren would look up at her. "And I didn't understand it back then, I thought it was foolish and impulsive and damn right disrespectful." She released a dry chuckle. "I get it now though. Loving you so much that you want to be selfish all the time because even the slight chance that you'll feel the same way...it's a risk that is so easy to take."

"I don't." Lauren shook her head, finally looking to her ex-wife and feeling a tear slide down her cheek. "And you had no right to do that. That wasn't fair."

"You're marrying Camila, I know that, but I would be an idiot if I didn't so much as try, Lauren. And I love Camila, she's fucking great and I consider her family, I do, but I needed you to know." Ashley shrugged, tucking her hands into her jacket pocket. "You wanted me to grow up, I've done a lot of growing. I'm not that spontaneous, live-in-the-now woman anymore. I'm a mother that nearly lost her kid and took in what she had and saw that you...Natalia...you guys are everything. I don't want more than that. I'm the person you always wanted me to be."

"I need you to hear me," Lauren wiped at the tears that fell down her face silently. "I am in love with Camila. I don't want there to be any confusion in that. I am marrying Camila, I am spending the rest of my life with her. Ash, you and I...we were never meant to be. Not the way Camila and I are."