"Go get one and then don't tell the dog my secret!"

She snorts," Get on with it, drama queen."

I take a deep breath. "Alessio and I are engaged."

"Fuck off!" She tosses her hands up.

"I'm serious!"

"Marriage!?"

I nod and smile a little. "Yeah...marriage."

"Are you sure? You guys have so much ahead of you! He's working and you are out here making your dreams of being a famous artist happen. Why rush it?"

"I know!" I groan and lay my head on her. "It's a lot, but you are the only one who knows. He hasn't even told his family."

"Is this what you want, Liv?" She says softly. "Does he make you happy?"

I look back towards the brilliant orange and red hues setting over the city skyscrapers. The city is sti buzzing with life as I lose myself in my own thoughts.

"Olivia?"

"Yeah, sorry!" I bring myself back into our conversation. "He really does make me happy. I love him so much."

A massive smile crawls across her face. "Do it! Marry that hunk. He's amazing, Olivia. Plus, he's sooooooo rich!"

"What would I do without you?" I laugh at her.

"Obviously, be too scared to go for things good for you!"

Suddenly there's a loud buzzing sound coming from my phone on the coffee table. I pick it up and click open the notifications.

New Message.

I scan through the message and see Alessio's name. He usually only calls me.

"I have a surprise for you."

What the hell is he even talking about?

"Kim is here! I already got my surprise...right?"

As soon as I hit send another one pops up within seconds.

"Not quite, baby. Why don't you come outside? Five minutes."

"Weird."

"You okay?" Kim asks.

I shrug, "I guess so, but Alessio just said to go outside in five minutes."

"Do you think he's here?"

I reach over and grab my keys. "I guess so! Let's go find out."

"Want to grab a bite as well? Baby and I are so hungry?" She laughs.

"Yes! I want you to try the pizza down the street and we can go shopping." I tease and lock my door.

"I have my dad's credit card."

"He's going to cut you off!"

She rolls her eyes, "I needed those clothes!"

"You maxed out his last credit card which had a 2,000 credit limit." I remind her.

"I spoiled them too! Plus, he's making me pay the monthly bill anyways."

I roll my eyes as we step out onto the sidewalk together. People rush by us in big groups but I don't see any gorgeous Italian men standing around.

I don't even see his car out here.

"Do you see him?" Kim asks.

"I don't," I shake my head. "Let's walk down there and I'll call him."

We start walking down the sidewalk together and I try to dial out to him.

Nothing.

"What?" Kim pulls us towards a wall so we aren't trampled. "I thought he said five minutes?"

"Yeah, but he's not answering. Let me call Beto."

I put the phone to my ear and hear Beto's voice answer almost immediately.

"Olivia! What's up college girl?"

"It's important!" I laugh a little. "Have you talked to Alessio?"

"Uh...I haven't seen him, why?"

"He just told me to be outside," I frown and look at the people passing by. "He texted me but he's not out here."

"Do not move and keep your voice low." Beto says quickly.

The urgency in his voice makes my stomach turn but I try to keep my smile still on my face for Kim.

"Everything okay?" She whispers.

I shrug just as a very familiar voice gets on the phone.

"Olivia? What's going on?" Alessio asks.

I stare at Kim's face. "Are you not in New York?"

"No, baby. I've been handling business all day. What's wrong?"

"You didn't just text me from your phone? You told me to be outside?" I feel the hair on my arms stand up.

Something is wrong.

Alessio goes silent for a moment before a conversation in Italian is exchanged quickly.

"Get inside your place right now and lock the damn door. My phone is missing from when I went to handle some business at the clubs earlier. Do not answer your phone or the damn door! I'm getting on the next flight but have a few guards in the area on the way now." Alessio says sharply.

"Okay." I say in a foreign voice. I feel a lump form in my throat and stare down at the black screen on my phone.

"Kim, we need to go inside."

"What?" She asks and looks around. "I thought he was here."

"Kim...we need to go inside. Now!"

She just stares back at me blankly but there's no time left before something behind us explodes.

People around us scream in horror as the shockwave spreads out through the crowd.

I try to grab onto Kim to shield her before we are slammed into the wall of the brick building.

Her screams are the last thing I remember.

⟡ ⟡ ⟡