09.

0 9 | a v a l o n

I WAS STILL FUMING. I yawned, pedalling on my squeaking bike down the hill from Clemente House. I'd barely slept last night. Too much had happened.

My head was still full of images of Austin and Mia. And worse than that, images of girls laughing at me while Everett sat smirking in the middle. I barely got any sleep, and by the time my alarm went off, I was even angrier than before.

I'd decided then and there – I was going to avoid Everett at all costs.

And so here I was, pedalling directly to work, ten minutes earlier than usual, sailing straight past Clemente House.

I hopped off my bike as I reached the beach, locking it up in its usual spot before slowly making my way to the Shack. I was earlier than usual since I'd skipped Clemente House, so I took my time, staring out at the waves lapping the shore.

When I reached the Shack, I saw two people leaning over the counter, their heads resting against the metal shutter. I blinked, narrowing my eyes.

"Connor?" I called out. "River?"

Their heads popped up and they met my eyes.

"Isla!" Connor shouted back, grinning widely. He winced, like his own voice hurt his head.

"What the hell, you two?" I reached them and they stood up straight, their expressions even more exhausted than me. I scanned them, noticing they still wore the same clothes as yesterday.

"What the hell?" I sputtered again. I stepped closer, running my fingers through Connor's tangled locks of hair, pulling them off his sweating forehead. He looked down at me, too tired to even smile properly. I clicked my tongue at him, moving to River next. I ran my hand over his shaved head, and he leaned into my touch.

"I think I'm still drunk," he half-muttered, half-groaned.

"You guys are idiots," I spat, shaking my head.

I turned quickly, unlocking the Shack and pulling out the bar stools.

"Sit," I directed, placing them on the sand.

I didn't look to see if they listened. Instead, I went back inside the Shack, opening the shutters and grabbing two Gatorades from the fridge. I slammed them on the counter in front of them and they winced.

"Drink," I said, crossing my arms.

"Thanks, Mum," River teased, flashing me a smirk. I rolled my eyes, watching as they drank quickly and greedily. I narrowed my eyes.

"How much did you guys drink last night?"

"Too much," Connor groaned. "Too, too much."

"And did you eat?"

Connor shook his head before pausing, pressing a hand to his forehead.

"We're idiots, Isla," River said pointedly. "You should know this by now."

I rolled my eyes, looking around the beach and tapping anxiously on the bench. It looked like most of the other people had already left, thankfully taking their trash with them.

One specific person was missing.

"Where's Austin?" I asked finally, my voice sounding choked.

Connor shrugged, resting his head on River's shoulder. River's eyes widened in panic at the gesture.

"Oh." I turned, chewing my bottom lip as I tried not to think about the places Austin probably was – or the person he was with. "You guys better get home and sleep."