04.

0 4 | b r o n t e

RIVER THREW ME OVER HIS SHOULDER, spinning and tossing me into the water with a scream.

My back hit the water first, my squealing muffled by the lagoon as I sunk to the bottom. I laughed in the form of bubbles, kicking my legs to break the surface.

"River!" I shouted through a gasp of air, clawing at him. He laughed, easily pushing me back only to be tackled by Connor.

A laugh burst from my lips and I splashed at the idiotic pair. "Serves you right!"

He broke the water, opening his mouth to shout back only to be pushed under again by a cackling Connor.

I chuckled, swimming to the shore to grab a drink of water. Noon was fast approaching, which meant the harsh Australian sun was hitting at its strongest.

I paddled to the rocky shore, pulling myself up over the rocks to grab my bottle. Once it was in my hand, I sank back into the water, my eyes falling on Everett sitting on the shore as I drank.

He sat alone on the rocks, glaring at his phone. An unwelcome air had settled around him that practically warned us all not to approach – or else.

I rolled my eyes, heaving myself back onto the rocks, placing the bottle down and staring at Everett. I felt a bit sorry for him – he was probably bored, stuck as the newcomer in a group of friends who had been together for years.

He was probably feeling left out. I frowned. I had to include him, didn't I?

"Why aren't you swimming?"

He blinked, turning away from his phone to scowl at me. "Don't want to."

"You don't have water in America?" I teased.

He rolled his eyes, unamused. "I just don't feel like swimming."

"Don't tell me," I began cheekily, grinning snidely. "You can't swim."

"Shut up, I can," he growled, shaking his head.

"You can't."

"I can."

"Then prove it," I challenged, letting go of the rocks and falling back into the water with a splash. I swam a few metres back, sending a splash in his general direction. "The water's great!"

"I'm not swimming," he yelled back.

"Come on!" I shouted, twirling in the water. "You'll never see anything like this again."

He pursed his lips and I could see him turning the idea over in his head.

"You'll never find a lagoon like this in America! Come on, Everett!"

He blinked slowly, then paused. And with an eye roll and a sigh – as if I were forcing him – he stood from his seat.

"Fine," he shouted, pulling his shirt over his head and tossing it to the ground.

I'd seen my fair share of shirtless boys – what with working on the beach every summer – but it had taken me by surprise. I felt my cheeks warm as he exposed his toned chest, his arms flexing as he lifted the fabric above his head.

I'd known he was strong from the way he'd held my wrists last night, but I blushed anyway. I shook the thought from my head.

"You have to jump," I teased, moving out of his way.

"I'm not jumping."

"You have to."

"No."

"Come on, Everett!" I pushed, raising a brow in challenge. "Unless you're scared?"