22: So Much For Alone

Start from the beginning

After I felt I’d given them a sufficient amount of guy time I exited the room and headed into the kitchen where the three of them stood sorting through alcohol bottles deciding what to bring and what not to. “Sup?” I nodded to Maver as I came up beside him and sat on the countertop. He shifted and rested his elbow on my thigh not bothering to look to me.

“Well I’m going to go to the party. Sure you don’t mind?”

I nodded. “Yup yup.”

Wait. What am I supposed to do? It finally dawned on me as I looked at Logan who eyed me as though deciding whether or not to say something.

Preston spoke up first though. “You want to come Kara?” he offered after deciding on which whiskey bottle to bring with.

I shook my head. “Not really. Drinking isn’t my thing.”

“You can’t crash here alone.” Logan said, speaking to me for the first time since coming back.

“Well I could stay with her in Maver’s place and watch some movies then?” he offered me a smile.

Logan laughed roughly. “She’s underage dude.”

Preston rolled his eyes. “I said watch movies not make them.” I chuckled at his comment. For some reason I had a feeling that Preston was a safe bet as a friend. He didn’t seem like he’d end up being a bad influence on me. He’d offered to help me the very first time I met him and gave him a cold shoulder after all. “Besides, there’s no way I’m letting her stay alone on a Friday night just cuz you stole her plans.”

“Nah it’s cool.” I piped up. I didn’t want him hanging out with me out of pity. Besides, an obviously good looking older guy spending his Friday night watching cheesy 90’s horror movies with a highschool senior didn’t seem like a fair way to waste his time. “I can just walk back to my aunt’s place it’s no biggie.”

To my surprise it was Maver who shot down this idea. “It’s dark out and cold. You’re not walking that far.”

Preston looked from Logan, to Maver to me to Logan then back to me. “Come with me a second.” He offered me with a nod. I gave him a questioning look but obeyed, hopping off the counter and following behind him as we ducked into livingroom. I could feel Logan and Maver shooting each other glances as we left.

“Yeah?” I asked once we were out of their hearing range.

“Come to the party.” He insisted and held up his hand before I could protest. “It’ll make Maver worry less about ditching you.”

“I guess.”

“I’ll be in charge of our drinks okay?” he offered. “I promise I won’t get drunk and if at any time you get uncomfortable I’ll snag the car and bring you to wherever you need to go.”

I sighed. It seemed like a generous enough offer. “You don’t have to babysit me you know.”

“I know, and I’m not. Just watching out for a friend. We’re friends right?”

He looked me square in the eyes and I hesitated to answer. I barely knew him. “I guess.” I responded not sure of the answer.

“Fair enough.” He nodded pleased with at least that. “Besides I’m the drink guy, why else would Logan drag me around? It’ll be nice having someone to chill and talk with as I serve the masses. You’ll be doing me a favor.”

“Okay okay I’ll go.” I agreed realizing he wasn’t going to settle for any other answer. “But if things go bad-“

“They won’t.” he assured me with a triumphant smile.

I followed him back into the kitchen and the silence that hung gave me the feeling that we’d interrupted a conversation. Preston didn’t seem to mind though. “She’ll come.” He said with a nod. “So grab the drinks and lets go.”

Logan looked at me, an eyebrow raised as he scanned me. “You’re wearing that?”

I looked down at what I had on. Some skinny jeans with a few wears in them here or there letting a bit of my leg show and a tight brown wifebeater. I’d throw on some knee length high heeled brown boots and make it work. “Yeah.” I shrugged.

“Whatever.” He groaned as though prepared for me to thoroughly embarrass him.

“I’ll go grab my things.” I responded and left the room. I pulled on some socks and zipped up the tight brown suede boots. I pushed a few large beaded bracelets on and pulled my red curly back into a loose messy pony tail. I glanced around for a second to find some sort of jacket. I smiled as I pulled on a white knit cover and thought back to the trick Coach had pulled with his windbreaker.