22: So Much For Alone

Start from the beginning

His fingers froze and ceased moving and his eyes widened. My laughter slowed as I followed his gaze slowly wondering what it was he was staring at. Surely it was a trick? I craned my neck back and looked up and slightly behind me at two sets of eyes staring down at us. OH MY GOD. My mind screamed and I was on my feet as quickly as Maver, hiding behind his back my cheeks bright red. I hadn’t even thought twice about being in my bra around him. He’d seen enough over the years that it really hadn’t crossed my mind what other people would think.

Yet there stood Logan looking as though he’d never seen a girl shirtless before. Preston was a step behind him, his face lit up like he’d just been laughing as well. “A tickle war? Really?” He asked, thank god, realizing what the situation had been.

My scarlet flush hadn’t left my cheeks. “Yeah.” I mumbled still hiding behind Maver’s back who didn’t seem to mind for one of his arms was angled back as though shielding me. I knew that it was just my imagination but I still felt thankful for it. I wouldn’t put it past him to just walk away and leave me exposed like that. My shirt lay on the ground where he’d dropped it from his mouth in between where Maver and Logan stood in some silent face off. “I swear I was winning.” I added.

Preston seemed to be the only one who didn’t find the situation awkward. “Sure looked like it.” He winked and stepped the rest of the into the room, pulling closed the door behind him. “Don’t doubt you had some trick up your sleeve,” he paused and picked up my shirt then added, “well you know what I mean.” With a laugh. He tossed my shirt forward and Maver snatched it from the air.

“Whats up?” He asked Logan slowly, handing back my shirt. I looked down at it. There were large damp spots from drool during the time it had been in Maver’s mouth. “Thought you were gone for the night?”

I didn’t complain though and slipped it on. I’d just change out of it in a moment anyways. “I will be. I was just coming back for the drinks.” He looked to me for a split second then back towards Maver. “Remember that blonde chick?”

Maver nodded. “Yeah Alyssa or something?”

“Whatever. Her. She wanted to see you at the party. You in?”

I could sense Maver perk up. I knew his signals well enough. I could almost feel the testosterone rush to his head as he played out how the night would go. “Well…” he paused and looked over his shoulder at me. “I kinda promised Kara we’d watch some flicks.”

I already could tell that Logan was about to make some sneer mocking comment about me but I cut him off. “You didn’t promise.” I said and shrugged. “Go get laid it’s no biggie. We can watch movies any time.”

His eyes flashed as though deciding if this was some jedi girl mind trap. “You sure?”

I laughed at his response. “Maver. Go get laid.” I urged.

Preston laughed and smiled at me. “Now that is a true friend. If only all chicks were so cool.” He flashed me a wink and I could sense Logan tense up.

Yeah yeah Logan I know. You hate me I’m pathetic. You don’t need to open your mouth I already get it. “I’ll be back.” I said with a nod to Maver and ducked from the room. I made my way to Maver’s room and opened up my bag of clothes. I withdrew a simple wife beater and pulled it on over my head. Though I was dressed I waited a bit, pushing around a cord with my toes as I sat in Maver’s computer chair. They probably needed some time to talk about if he was going or not.