Han Suyin - 3.16

The Emperor's eunuch had informed Han Xiu that the Han residence was still empty and was cleaned prior to his arrival. Fu Guan, Biyu and a portion of soldiers could live there until they had to leave. Han Xiu didn't know how to separate his soldiers without seeming biased so he told them to decide it between each other.

In the end, the soldiers couldn't decide what they should do so Han Xiu bought an empty manor that was quieter and not in the centre of the capital so that the soldiers could stay there and have a training ground as well.

The weather seemed to have become much warmer and better, Han Xiu could go out peacefully without worrying about collapsing at a store. When he told Fu Guan about his illness, Fu Guan thought that he could be cured and wanted to call a physician.

"It's no use, it can't be cured anymore."

"You have to try!"

"It won't kill me, old man. Don't worry about it."

Han Xiu was sent a few servants at his place shortly after he settled in. They were all hustling around and a lot of the maids seemed to have crushes on the soldiers. They were young servants and they were all managed by a stern woman, who Fu Guan seemed to like.

One day, Han Xiu wanted to go out and see the markets and stores in the capital, since he didn't have any plans to do anything. He told Fu Guan and left the Han residence, looking for some fun. Han Xiu would've left the house wearing some sort of mask to hide his identity but, nobody knew him and he could easily get away without being recognized.

When Han Xiu reached the busy markets of the capital, his face lit up and he started to roam around and talk to the elderly people who were selling their products from stalls. He met an old lady and he told her that he wasn't from around here. He started to talk with her and found out that she had been selling her stuff for a long time now, it would be close to 15 years. The old woman was very chatty so she started to tell Han Xiu about the new gossip that she heard around the streets.

"You know young man, I heard that one of the new store owners around here is going around and buying all the people's restaurants!" The old woman whispered.

"No!" Han Xiu dramatically said.

"Yes!" She continued speaking. "And this new owner bought all of the remaining empty stores!"

"Really? Have you met him?" Han Xiu went closer to the lady and whispered, "or her?"

The old lady playfully pushed him back and laughed. "I'll tell you what, I've seen the owner from far, far away, but he's not as handsome as you, you sly fox." She pulled one side of his cheek jokingly.

"Hey! Why am I a fox?" Han Xiu rubbed his cheek softly.

"You seem like someone who isn't what they say they are."

"You've got that right granny." Han Xiu picked up an apple that was on top of the old woman's stall and took a bite from it. "I've got to run."

"Who's going to pay for the apple? Your father?" The old woman spoke when she saw that Han Xiu was leaving.

"Check behind your ear!" He replied looking back at her while continuing to walk forward.

The old lady pulled the money from behind her ear and smiled, "A true fox you are, young man."

Han Xiu winked at her and turned to go another direction which would lead him to the side of one of the buildings that were there. As he turned to look back in front, he brushed shoulders with another man whose face was covered by a mask. The man also had a servant beside him so Han Xiu could tell that he was probably important.